Urgent Tank cycled out then ramped up on nitrates adn nitrites AGAIN?!?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ReefCreep, Feb 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I'd agree with trijam. For the most part treat the tank like you normally would and don't add things until it has stabilized for a while. If you were reading high ammonia, that would be one thing, but nitrate, for all intents and purposes is non-toxic. Nitrite may be a bit toxic, but nowhere near as much as ammonia. Panicking and taking drastic measures is likely to cause more problems, where as if you just left things, they'd even out on their own fairly quickly.

Hopefully these articles will help ease your worries.

Nitrite
    Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Nitrate
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

2. Click Here!

3. martyd215

martyd215 Astrea Snail

Also, putting the bio-wheel back on may not be a bad idea. I know they have a reputation as "nitrate factories", but they are nitrate factories because they convert nitrite to nitrate, which is a good thing. If they're making nitrate, it's because there's nitrite in your tank.

If you allow detritus to stick to them by not maintaining them they may create nitrates in excess of what they're converting, much like bio balls, but that's only if they're not properly maintained. Every few months, you can very lightly brush off any detritus as long as you keep them hydrated in saltwater. Just make sure you maintain it properly and you will have an added place in addition to your live rock and live sand for beneficial bacteria to colonize.

Of course, there are other options and methodologies for waste export, but I'm just trying to work with what you have.

4. ReefCreep

ReefCreep Plankton

ok guys well thank you all for all of the help, and as usual you were all correct, too much too fast and the params went skitz for a bit but are all good now. thanks to all