Tank Cycle

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by somethingfishy, Jul 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Jason the LR that I am getting is fully cured and has been in a tank for 2 1/2 years. Will this still cause a cycle as you call it. Is this the same as adding a fish where the bacteria has to build up to accomidate the bio-load?

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jason,

With 10ppm Nitrate, there must have been some sort of cycle, and if not, surely the fish would be dead by now?

John

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

somethingfishy I think you should be safe. Sorry I thought you were going to buy the rock on the WWW or uncured. You should be fine as long as the trip isn't 6-8 hours away (out of water)

John
    Not entirely sure, Something has converted the Ammonia though to nitrate but it prob wasn't 6lbs of LR.
    with out an ammonia test who's to know if the ammonia has been converted. The nitrate could be a product of water, Salt, Sand.
    Lets find out tomorrow when somethingfishy tests for Ammonia, Same Bat time same Bat Place.

J

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jason,

Well, I would think that the Nitrate reading must have come from Ammonia - Nitrite and was a part of the cycle. As you know it's the bacteria in the rock/sand that causes this cycle to occur. I haven't heard of Nitrate being a product of sand, salt or water, but that doesn't mean much I suppose :)

In any case, even with an Ammonia test kit, if the reading is zero ( or near zero ) what does that prove. Back to the batcave I think :)

John ;-)

6. somethingfishy

Well I bought a Ammonia test kit today and the level was at 0ppm. I have concluded that my tank is fully cycled. Thank you for all your help.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Not yet mate :) Wait until the Nitrites drop to zero.

John

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

ammonia & nitrites are at 0ppm Nitrates are at 10pmm

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I still don't think 6 lbs of LR is enough to have a biological filter large enough to sustaian, whats the count on fish in the tank now??? 9, 6 or 3. Either way you need more rock

J

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Jason McKenzie link=board=Water;num=1090982262;start=15#17 date=07/28/04 at 18:44:36] whats the count on fish in the tank now??? 9, 6 or 3.  Either way you need more rock

J [/quote]

Or none at all :-(

John

12. somethingfishy

Sorry I havn't replied I have 6 fish now. 2 green chromis, 3 firefish gobies, and 1 damsel. I now have 26 lbs. of live rock. I had found a good deal on LR but it fell through so I went and bought 20 lbs. yesterday.