Tank crashed copper in Kent carbon UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by steelhead, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

No but they will want pics of the container with date and a receipt from Al's. I called Big Al's since they have changed thier web and the on line record that was there is now gone, but they will email you a copy.

2. Click Here!

3. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

Yeah I had to send pics of the container and receipt but also have to send a sample of the carbon to be tested.

4. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

I used the entire container on mine maybe that's why :confused:

5. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

I did to but I have to dry some of mine that was in my filter and send that.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I think this is going to be as expensive as the bad batches of Instant Ocean salt and the Stealth Heater recall.

7. kreator

kreator Flamingo Tongue

I changed my carbon last night as I do every couple weeks, I don't know the code or exp, but I purchased it yesterday. I have not lost anything since December and within 2 hours of changing my carbon every fish was dead. I am going to try and figure this out, but it's so sad to lose these fish I have enjoyed watching for a year, I think this is my last Salt water tank:(.

8. Click Here!

9. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

Hmmm.....when I added the bad carbon it killed all my corals but fish were fine other than they were breathing a bit heavier. I haven't heard of anyone losing fish with bad carbon but I could be wrong about that.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Even though they said mine was not on the recall,

I got rid of about a half of container of the Kent Reef Carbon.
    Mainly since I read on here that it really isn't the right kind of arbon anyways.

I only use a basg of carbon in the water flow in my sump when I can 'smell' the sump getting slightly 'fishy smelling'. A day or two takes it away, then I take it out.

IN other words, I don't use AC all the time anyways.

11. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Ditch the carbon altogether. I switched over to Magnavore Pura Complete in my reactor a few months ago, and my water parameters have never been better. I notice a difference in the health of the livestock too. It's a really great product. I buy mine off ebay, but I'm sure it's widely available. I change it every two months although the label states a much longer life depending on your bio-load. And no, I don't work for them! LOL