Tank crashed copper in Kent carbon UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by steelhead, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

Well I must say that Kent did a great job of taking care of me and my issue of the copper, It would of been very easy for them to put the blame somewhere else. They are sending me a check for all the filters, media, and salt I used for the many water changes I had to do plus a new T5 light fixture and membrane for my R/O unit. After this great service I will still use Kent products and was told that they have started a new test for heavy metals in the carbon( I might stay away from that for a while::) ). I can't wait to put up the new light and then go get some new critters.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is awesome customer service. Thanks for sharing.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I got word of this, and called Kent. Their office is actually near me where I live in WI.
    They said mine wasn't a bad batch. I don't use much of it anyways, about a half a cup at a time.

I had bought the big plastic jar, and I really haven't had a crash.

I'm ditching it anyways.

5. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

Yep, get rid of it! I was told by the sales rep at Big Als and from Kent that mine was OK but all it took was about 20 min. and the damage was done. The problem is the carbon is mined for several companies from the same place so I think maybe I will put some carbon in water and test for copper with each new batch.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is a great idea. I think I will even do this myself. 8)

7. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

I am in the process of working with Kent now as well. I called them this morning and they have started a file and are having me collect receipts and give pics of before and after. (I purchased my bucket from big ALS as well and like you said....damage started right away). Unfortunately I don't have many receipts of all my corals I have bought over the years.....I have had well over $1,000 in corals die or are on the verge of death. I do have receipts for both the carbon and all the salt that I have bought for water changes. I also have the container for the carbon but don't have any carbon left as it was all in my filters. How long did the process take for you before they settled everything with you?

8. Click Here!

9. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

They are very fast and helpful, I took more time than they did. I had the same problem with receipts so I took a list of the corals I lost as well as pics to three local stores and they gave me replacement cost. Since I could not produce receipts Kent gave me product in exchange. It was a real PITA for over a week with all the filter and water changes but all is well now and I feel that Kent did a great job taking care of this issue for me.

10. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

Do you remember when the expiration date was on yours...mine is 2 months before the actual recall date. Also did you have to send them a sample of the carbon?

11. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

I would have to look I also still have the container but I think mine was Oct. ??

12. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

Mine is OCT 20 2014. The first date show on the release was dec. I bought the 7 pound two gallon container from Big ALS. Did you have to send yours off to be tested??