Tank crashed copper in Kent carbon UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by steelhead, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Get a stock list and go to your LFS and get them to give you an estimate on replacement value, or print off something similar on Live Aquaria. Tell them it's the best you can do and that it doesn't matter what you paid for them in the past. What matters is what it will cost you to replace them now.

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Try to document following their recommendations. Also follow up phone conversations with emails where you can. Confirm the contents of discussions by summarizing. It helps to not be too obvious by doing so as part of asking for further advice etc.

If they take responsibility for your losses, the question of damages is hopefully not too difficult to address. You want to take seriously your obligation to mitigate those damages though. This is terrible for both you and them. Hopefully it comes right.

4. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

I just hope this thread helps someone else who may have some of this carbon on the shelf before they use it.

1 person likes this.
  5. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

+1 on helping someone.

Just a thought...

You may want to change the title of the thread to something like "Tank Crashed (copper in Kent carbon)" or something similar. It might catch the eye of the person casually skimming the forums.

6. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

Wish I would have read this sooner......this just happened to me as well I believe!

7. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

Sorry to hear that,amazing how fast things go away. Call Kent they were very helpful you just have to document everything the more the better. They are giving me a cash and product settlement that I am very happy with.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I put the Kent recall on our store's Facebook page. I let people know that we don't sell that carbon but just in case they had it from someone else, I wanted them to know about it.

BTW, the reason we don't carry it isn't because of the heavy metals. It's pretty much the worst carbon on the market because it's a vapor-phase carbon as opposed to liquid phase carbon.....unfortunately, we are using it in water.

http://www.fishchannel.com/images/aquarium-frontiers/gac-600.jpg

10. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

So what is the difference:confused:

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Vapor-phase carbon is meant to be used in the air. Liquid phase carbon is meant to be used in water. Kent carbon is vapor phase....it was never supposed to be used under water. Jack Kent even was told that. (He thought he just made a great deal with his new bulk carbon purchase). Unfortunately, he was in negotiations to sell Kent Marine to Central Aquatics and he chose to not change anything. Subsequently, Central Aquatics using the Kent Marine name, continued to sell the carbon intended for use in the air, under water where it really doesn't do very much.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh my. This is terrible.
    A friend of mine had a tank crash recently. He said he thought it was the carbon. I thought that was so odd. I am going to ask him what kind now. Thanks for info.