Tank crashed copper in Kent carbon UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by steelhead, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

copper test. Then get something running to remove that copper. Chemipure or something like it. Not sure about the nem. Post a picture of it and i'm sure somebody will chime in.

2. Click Here!

3. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

If they die I would love to be able to get something for them but they will probably give me free carbon, no thanks. Where can I get copper absorbing pads?

4. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

Hard to get pics of nem he was up frount for the first month or so then moved behind a rock in the back of the tank but he was happy so I let him be. I work 12 hr shifts just don't want it to die and really mess up the water.

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Seachem make a product called coprisorb. See if your LFS has any. It will remove copper and any other hard metals.

6. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Once copper is in a system it saturates live rock at sand bed and takes a while to be removed. Just an idea but maybe try setting up a hospital tank and place your corals into it. Keep params optimal and give them a chance to recover in a healthy environment while you remove the copper from your display tank. If the coral are too far gone you may lose some anyways but you may have a chance of saving a few. They just need to be removed from the copper environment ASAP. Just an idea.

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I wouldn't do anything too harsh just yet. Test for copper before going all crazy.

8. Click Here!

9. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

+1
    Probably the best idea IMO. If your coral is on it's way out in the DT it needs to be moved somewhere less toxic until you track this down.

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

The name of the product is Cuprisorb.

1 person likes this.
  11. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

Thanks everyone, I'll do the water change and carbon and try to find that copper stuff. I have to take it down and put it back up for new carpet in about seven weeks so we will see what happens, might have to start over $$$$$$$:(

12. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

Well corals look about the same,holding out as long as I can on the nem time will tell. Frustrating knowing what I have to get and what I have to do but 12hr nights make it hard. On the bright side called Kent again and they said the problem was larger than they first thought and it was copper in the batch, they gave me advice on what to do they also said they will pay for lost stock money or product so at least they will help. They want before and after pics and that I can do the problem is they want receipts for the corals:-/ I just don't keep those kind around very long.