Tank change(?)

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by mightymcc, Mar 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mightymcc

mightymcc Astrea Snail

Hi. I currently have this setup.
    Reef Ready Aquarium Model 29H 30x12x18 - Rectangular Reef Ready Aquariums
    AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LEDs
    Hydor Koralia Nano/Slim-Skim Internal Protein Skimmer
    and the other crap. My problem with this setup is that it is cramped, and requires 20% water changes every week, and the price is pretty step, or at least it is for me but I discover the Innovative marine nuvo 16 tank that looks better and seems like it would function better. I did the math and if I were to sell my tank with my bioballs and live rock and stuff like that i could get maybe around 250 (a better estimation would be appretiated) and I could sell the light for 200-230(once again a better estimation would be appretiated). this would give me around $500 and $600 if I decide to sell the skimmer too(i probably wont). So is it logical to switch tanks? What is the nuvo 16 maintnance and lights like?

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well, you are going from a 25+ actual gallon tank to a likely less than 14 gallon tank (after sand, rock, not completely filling the tank, etc). So almost half. I would suggest either getting a HOB 'fuge for your current tank (like a CPR Aquafuge) or even a DIY with a regular HOB filter. The other option is to just do a sump, which would be the best option IMO, since it can vastly increase your total water volume, and give you a place to hide your equipment.

Other than that, I don't have first hand experience with the Nuvos. I will say for the same price you can get a JBJ 28 nano, with a stand if you buy it when it is on sale. But the Nuvos do look very nice.

4. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

I agree with Marshall on adding a sump to give you more water volume. A smaller tank will require more work to keep it stable from the reading ive done. It will be smaller water changes, but certainly more of them

5. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I agree go with a sump. You can get small sumps & have a lil refugium section in it. It will give you more overall water which means better water quality & the fuge will help keep tank clean of waste. Plus all your equipment can be hidden below the tank.

6. mightymcc

mightymcc Astrea Snail

Alright... I guess I'll get the fuge/sump then...

7. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

I don't understand how a 29 is cramped but a 16 won't be. Am I missing something?

8. Click Here!

9. mightymcc

mightymcc Astrea Snail

My tank is 6-7" wide on average which limits the aquascape potential. The nuvo 16 has better dimensions for aquascaping(24X10X16) or at least I believe so. Now I'm thinking about upgrading to a 40 breeder or something.

10. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

I gotcha. A 40 breeder and a 29 gallon sump would be nice!

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Any why do you have to do a 20% WC weekly anyways?
    That's like what, 5g?

What ever you decide, I'm sure it will be fine, keep on reefing!

12. mightymcc

mightymcc Astrea Snail

I'm not sure why, I think I might be over feeding.

Well I checked what the cost of getting a 40B would be and I DEFIANTLY can not afford it so I think I'm going to restart it. I'm going to sell/lend fish and coral, do 100% water change, change substrate, change aquascape, etc.