Resolved Tank BLew!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by BoBo65, Jan 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

Also - who makes the tank that let loose? Call them - let them know where to send your new tank ;-)

2. Click Here!

3. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

HAHA Thanks Janderson, sadly I bought a used tank from a local reefer on my local forums I think he knew about the chip hence why he was selling it, but oh well such is life, I have a rubbermaid full of rocks right now and 5 HD buckets full of water I was able to save good news is I only have 3 damsels and a snowflake eel, I just finished an upgrade to that 75 Gallon from my 55 Im lucky I had no coral in the tank fish are in a HD bucket with a big piece of LR a reliable heater small pwhead and an airstone, I even threw together 3 pieces of cut pvc for the guys to hide in... anyway here is the main thread for the tank blowout this was an accidental double post from my addrenalin rush :D http://www.3reef.com/forums/asap/tank-blew-129156.html

4. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Any idea how the hell that happened?

5. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Sadly yes I know exactly how it happened, I bought the tank used... first mistake, after drilling and filling the tank I saw a tiny chip on the bottom left hand side of the tank, I didn't think it was anything to be to concerned about and was just going to keep my eye on it and if it got any worse I would drain the tank and start over, the next day/yesterday I filled it up with sand, while admiring my tank today I realized that tiny chip had grown a cm so I slathered a good amount of silicone around it even though I couldnt feel anything from the outside i figured Id rather be safe than sorry, then I took a sharpie and marked the tip of the chip, and made plans with Silor to drain the tank tomorrow and find a new one, I went to redbox with my girl and when we got back the crack had grown a tiny bit more, I figured dang that sucks, I guess I am going to be draining it tonight after the movie while my girl sleeps.... halfway through the movie you know the rest

6. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

The good news is that saltwater will not mildew or cause mold in itself. If you saved a bunch of water and your tank is 75g then it sounds like you only have 20 or so gallons on the floor.

If you want to save the cash of a carpet cleaner then:

- Rent a Rug Doctor to clean the carpet.
    - Lift up a corner of the carpet nearest the spill and put a fan underneath to help dry it out. Also put fans above it.

Since you live in an exceptionally dry climate, it will dry quickly and you should have no ill effects.

I put a bunch of salt water on the floor in Florida and this worked for me.

7. AcidRayn

AcidRayn Astrea Snail

My worse nightmare was just put in print! Hope all goes well

8. Click Here!

9. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me, though with a 30 gallon (so I'm sure it wasn't nearly as bad). I made it through fine, so just keep with it!

10. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

Wow, that sucks. You are living my nightmare. You have been given the best advice any one can give you, so I will not repeat them. Good luck on finding a new tank. Who knows maybe you will find a bigger and better tank than the one that broke.

11. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Haha thanks, a Nightmare it is!
    30 gallon- 75 gallon either way it's still alot of water on the floor and a huge headache, I was just lucky enough to be sitting right next to the tank when it cracked or things would have been way the heck worse

Yeah thanks, I have gotten sum great help, just one more reason live 3Reef, and thanks I hope I can find a new tank for a reasonable amount otherwise I might have to back out for awhile, oh and this was my upgrade haha I'm not going any bigger for awhile

12. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I was in the same situation. With me though, it went right to the power outlet (which I hadn't made a gfi, big mistake) and nearly started a fire. Didn't know which breaker it was on, so I flipped them all (it was 11 at night). Ended up bucketing water, fish, rocks and coral in the dark with flashlights.

Everything survived though! So just keep with it, try to destress, and know that the worst is probably behind you :D