tangs?

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by white-rasta, Feb 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. white-rasta

white-rasta Bristle Worm

is it possible to have two tangs in a 90 gallon

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

As long as they are not conspecifics, yes. But they have to be different species with different body types.

1 person likes this.
  4. white-rasta

white-rasta Bristle Worm

have u ever heard of someone haveing 2 conspecifics successfully?

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

It happens every so often, but if you put two yellow tangs in a 90 gallon tank, I would give it a 95% chance of ending up with one. Its just not a good idea. Don't do it. I would only keep one tang in a 90, but you can look into the ctenochaetus genus. You already have zebrasoma with a YT, and the only acanthurus that can live in a 90 long term are powder browns and powder blues, but they need a far more mature tank. Yellow eye kole tangs, chevron tangs, and others of the sort are possible in a 90, but being detritavors, they may not make it. Mine just wasted away and I've heard other people say that they don't thrive in captivity. However, some people have great success with them. Definitely look into foxfaces maybe dwarf angels. They get bigger and foxfaces are closely related to tangs, and act and look similarly.

Not trying to demoralize you, but two yellow tangs in one 90 is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

6. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Not species, but genus' . Most tangs under the same genus will have same body type. All types of tangs are a different species.

I believe they are: Naso, Acanthurus, Paracanthurus, Ctenochaetus (sp?) and Zebrasoma. I would strongly advise that you stick with the Zebrasoma genus or possibly some of the Ctenochaetus tangs because the others are simply too hard to keep or grow too large for your tank.

7. white-rasta

white-rasta Bristle Worm

Not trying to demoralize you, but two yellow tangs in one 90 is just setting yourself up for disappointment.[/quote]

all this information u gave me is exactly wut i need to hear!
    i dont wanna hurt the fish or kill them.
    i wanna do everything right with as much researrch as possible!
    so it looks like yellow tangs are out of the question.

dosen't a foxface grow big and agressive? because if true then thats not wut want!

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Not any more than a tang. I think he was suggesting on getting a yellow tang and a foxface instead of the two tangs. Its not that tangs are really aggresive towards other fish, they are just aggressive towards similar fish (other tangs).