Tangs are dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by 99tmsmith, Apr 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Hey 99 sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad to read that you want to stick with it. That says alot about your character. As ofk said adding the fish too fast was probably what brought this on so quick. There is bacteria that lives on the sand and live rock that breaks down ammonia (waste products from fish). It takes time for the bacteria to grow. When you add a fish the bacteria will increase according to how much ammonia is available. This also applies to how much food goes onto the tank. It sounds like you have enough sand and rock for the bacteria to call home. When I started I added a fish every two weeks. By the way, I have a 40 gallon and took my LFS advice and got a flame angel and blue tang. I realize now that both are too big for the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Mhayes462

Mhayes462 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

When you see a fish you want, google it. I will do this at the store where I see it. Usually one of the first sites that pop up is liveaquaria.com. They have awesome info on almost every fish out there. Just look it up before you make the purchase.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Even better, go to the first store, right down the fish you are interested in, then go back home and google it. That way you can spend some good time researching people's actually experience vs. just what LiveAquaria says. They are good for basic info, but nothing beats first hand experience. You can always put a deposit or pay for a fish you are interested in before you actually bring it home if you are worried someone else will buy it.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

99- you still with us?? such great advice you've gotten!

6. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

Hello sorry guys I haven't been on since last night. Yeah thank you for the all the advise. And thank you for the liveaquaria.com website. I have a iPhone and last night I found a iPhone app called "pocket reef." I downloaded it and has info on some fish, corals , and inverts.