Tangs are dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by 99tmsmith, Apr 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

A varied diet is key. Look into making your own fishfood. I do this and i would not go back to feeding only flakes/pellets if my life depended on it

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

While I do only feed flakes, I use a mix of Ocean Nutrition Formula One and Prime Reef, which combined, include salmon, plankton, squid, krill, clams, kelp, herring, brine shrimp, and tuna eggs, enriched with various vitamins, minerals, and marine protein amino extract (MPAX).

You can blend your own from frozen cubes, or as stated, make it with uncooked seafood from your local grocer.

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

sorry I may have been unclear, varied flakes is already a huge step forward, i meant feeding a single type of flakes.

for the record as correctly mentioned by Mr. Bill these flakes are enriched and is hence the reason why I include them (a small hand-full of various types of flakes/pellets) in the blender with the rest of the fresh fish and nori sheets I purchase

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Mysis shrimp (Hikari or PE - Piscine Energetics), spirulina flakes, pellets (New Life Spectrum is a good brand, though there are others as well), Formula 1, Formula 2, or Prime Reef flakes (Ocean Nutrition), Hikari Marine Algae or Mega Marine Algae, etc.

Plenty of great options, just make sure its a variety!

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Between dry, refrigerated, and frozen I have over 25 different varieties of food for my reef/fish. My fish eat better than I do! Variety in nutrition is key in long term success and health with our livestock.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

99 - I think it would be beneficial to read some of the articles on the site regarding setting up your first saltwater aquarium. It sounds like some additional reading will be very beneficial for you.

As Mr. Bill said, you don't want to feed an anemone that frequently, I feed mine maybe once a week and a small quantity. I highly suggest that you find a new live fish store because the one you go to has given you such bad advice, I don't believe they can help you.

The fish you have left may make it difficult to add in a variety of fish as you go forward. Damsels can be very territorial and aggressive toward new tank mates. Although they are hardy, they really limit what fish you can have in your tank. If you like them, then that's great but just know that you'll be limited in the future if you keep them.

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

I'm still suspicious of the parameters being correct after that many fish being in it and then all the deaths.

What are you using for water movement INSIDE the tank?

Do you test the water or does your LFS?
    If it's the LFS that sold you all those fish for a 65 gal tank, I'd be suspicious as well.

What are your current parameters?

10. Mhayes462

Mhayes462 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I really wasn't trying to be mean. Those were serious questions. I work at Premium Aquatics and in my experience it is usually young people or people that don't research anything that do these kinds of things. Lots of people listen to their lfs, and very few have any knowledge about maintaining a saltwater tank. Everyone makes mistakes in this hobby, and this is no different. There are going to be lots of things you want but cannot have. It'll take a lot of willpower to not go ahead and try it. It's just wasting your money and may make other things worse.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Most anyone can fall prey to bad LFS advice. I know, because it happened to me. After many years of keeping FOWLR tanks, I decided to try a reef. With the LFS as my only source of information at the time, I killed more livestock than I care to think about, and wasted several thousand dollars in a short 3-year period. I finally gave up SW altogether, sold all but 1 tank, and converted that one to freshwater for a couple of years...

Unfortunately, it's difficult to find a single LFS that's knowledgeable and honest in every facet of the hobby. In one area or another (or 2 or 3), they allow their profit margin to be their guide.

12. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Real quick wanted to highlight this post because it's the real value of this website and forum. To provide information and support. Most of the information comes from years and decades of experience. So that info is gold, but it's not just information it's encouragement and respect to fellow hobbyists. I'm new to the hobby in past year. I've had saltwater tanks in past but has a 10 yr gap. There are so many snobs and know-it-alls that it becomes discouraging. But not here.
    When I see a post like this I know I'm in the right place and can trust the people that reply. I've learned so much but have never been judged.

Just a quick thank you to every single person on this board.