Tangs are dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by 99tmsmith, Apr 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

The important thing is, they are now correcting the situation. No point in criticizing as this will only deter people from posting their problems, which then won't get corrected.

Edit: And what OFK said :)

2. Click Here!

3. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

Ok guy so someone asked I'm 21 years old. I did do a little research before I bought the tangs. I bought all the tangs at the same lfs and I told them what I had and what fish I had and they didn't seam to concern with the tang. I end up losing my Korean anglefish this morning aswell as a clown. And I had my angel fish and 1 yellow tang in my old 20 gallon tank for over a year. Then I add them at the same time as the other yellow tang and the blue tangs. Now that I'm really think about what went wrong, and I don't think it was the tang I add 2 sea anemones Saturday and then that when very thing went down hill. I didn't pour any of the lfs water into my tank. But are anemones known to carry illnesses?

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Nems are not the issue. The fish store will say anything that you want to hear. You need to do some more research bud. Too many tangs, too little of a tank. Try to return what you have and your best bet may be to start from scratch.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

65g is not really big enough for any tang, and a very small amount of angelfish species. in a tank like that I would be comfortable with 6-8 small fish only. These issues will continue to pop up because over crowding leads to stress then disease and death.

1 person likes this.
  6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm trying to discern what fish you have left? Also, how old is your tank? What do you have in it for filtration? Do you have sand and live rock? Many times just adding a lot at once can be detrimental because the filters (not sure what you have) have a certain capacity that they can handle in terms of new bioload and overall bioload in general thus the concern not only about the type of fish but the number. wow, that was a serious run-on statement.

If you're really interested in doing things right, let's start with what you have. I think what went wrong was that you added too much at the same time and too large of fish for your filter to sustain them.

One other statement - there are responsible live fish stores out there. The one that sold all of that to you at once and knowing what you had are irresponsible and I highly recommend that you find a new source.

7. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

yeah I'm definitely interested in getting it back up and running. I would post pics of my tank and filters and what i have but i can't figure out how to post pic every time i try it only allows me to upload one. And yes a lot of run ons lol i was on my phone it was hard to type.

Anyways i have 56lbs of live sand and have about 20 lbs of live rock and about 50lbs of dead rock.
    filtration i have a 20 gallon wet dry system, with bio balls. The overflow i have sponge foam. Rapped around the intake that goes into the wet dry i have a sheet of rubber mess thats wrapped around a sheet of felt.

Food;
    brine shrimp
    i feed the fish one cube a day with a small sheet of seaweed.

the anemones the lfs told me feed the sea anemias one krill twice a week
    and feed them oyster feast 1/2 - 1 teaspoon every other day for the sea anemones.

Sense i can't figure out how to post pictures I'm gonna post a link to photo bucket where i uploaded pictures of my tank, wet dry system, filter pads and the food i have been feeding the fish and anemones. and theres descriptions on the pictures.

travis_smith8's Library | Photobucket

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

What fish are left. Unfortunately, you may have solved your issue. Those 4 tangs and Angel were way too big for your tank; even alone.

10. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

3 blue damsels 3 three strip damsels and a Bluefin Damselfish

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

To post pics, select an image, copy the "Direct" link, then paste it into the "Insert Image" ([​IMG]) box.

"Dead" rock becomes live during the cycle, or in roughly 2 - 3 weeks if added to an established system, so you actually have roughly 70lbs of live rock.

With sufficient lighting and fish being fed in the same tank, anemones do not require such a rigorous feeding regimen. A small treat twice per month is plenty. Overfeeding can lead to internal infection and death (or rapid growth and multiplying, depending mainly on the size and amount of food being given).

Fish, like ourselves and most other creatures, require a variety of food sources for long-term survival and good health. Brine shrimp and one type of algae is the equivalent of hot dogs and lettuce for every meal every day.

Last but not least, with proper maintenance, your filtration is fine. :)

12. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

ok great thank you! What other foods should i include in there diet?