Tangs are dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by 99tmsmith, Apr 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

ok question, i know you guy get this question probably all the time. what other fish could i go with a 65 gallon that's gonna be a reef tank FAR down the road? just so i know what are ok with this size tank. i not gonna go buy fish or corals any time soon. and i know the korean angelfish Isnt reef safe.

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Probably fish that don't get over 4 inches as an adult. But that's just my opinion.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

we've all made mistakes in this hobby. That you learn from it is the important part. You want to have a reef tank? what do you want to keep?

5. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

maybe some lps, soft coral, nothing with a high demanding light

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

+1

Look into damsels, certain wrasse (can be very aggresive/delicate/ hard to keep so pick wisely), clownfish. A single psuedoanthia should do fine in your system too. You might be able to get by with a dwarf angel but thats already pushing the limit bar, look into "coral beauty"

If its corals you want to keep a light bioload is key for easier maintenance in terms of water quality.

Sorry for your losses and i know what its like to succumb to a family members wish but its YOUR tank and YOUR responsibility, sadly tangs are not an option in a 65 IMO. Research, read and read some more....

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Before suggesting what fish to add, I'd want to know how many do you have left, and what types. You may still be at or over the safety limit.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That koran angelfish has to go. It should be in a tank 4 times that size.

10. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Yikes, i have a clown, damsel and a tiny yellow tang in a 90 gallon...that is one too many fish for me already!!!

11. Mhayes462

Mhayes462 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Holy cow! 14 fish! At least 4 of which are tangs in a 65?! How old are you? (Not being a ****, serious question. Did you do any research about saltwater tanks?

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think it's important that we try to be helpful to new hobbyists. He knows that he's made mistakes so let's help him with what he can do going forward. Mr. Bill's question about what you currently have is a great starting point.