Tangs are dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by 99tmsmith, Apr 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

Oh ok yeah it have 14 fish in the tank. Should I get rid of the rest of the sick fish, The yellow tang the clown and damel? Also should I do a small water change today then another tomorrow? I'm gonna buy another test kit today to make sure mine has sent gone bad

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I would do a 25% water change then another tomorrow. Point power heads up for max aeration. Take a water sample to a friend or fish store for testing. If another fish dies take them all to the store and sell them to the store until you figure it out.

Did the fish have any marks like they had been fighting?

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that is a lot of fish in a 65. I would definitely do a water change and make sure you agitate the top of your water - that much of a sudden die off is something suspicious - are the "sick" fish breathing hard? It could be that you have ammonia now in the tank. As others have said, a picture would help us.

I second Av8's advice^^

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Don't "get rid" of any sick fish. Instead try to figure out the problem and get them back healthy! You can trade in larger fish like the Yellow Tang later. And yes, a water change can't hurt. 14 fish, especially many larger ones, is way too many in a 65 IMO. For reference, I have 15 in my 125. 2 Tangs, 1 Foxface, and the remaining are all smaller fish (mostly Wrasses).

Can you setup a hospital tank?

6. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the help guy. my mom call me a about 2 hours ago and said the other yellow tang and the other blue tang and the clown fish were dead when she went home for lunch. But she said the other fish seamed to be doing ok. I'm on my way home from work and gonna see how the rest are doing.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

im sorry to hear about your losses but you had no right cramming that many fish into such a small glass box. please do your research man -- this could have been completely avoided.

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

well O2 as Marshall and others suggested could be your issue but check your params, check your equipment etc...

Hey lots of people make the overstock mistake when first beginning so we are not here to put you down but help you out and give you advice based on experience.

There are so many pretty fish, but you need to understand their requirement before purchase and unfortunately you really cannot have everything you want.

I am sure you are pretty bummed right know but get your mind straight and try to figure out exactly what has killed your fish. Learn from it and move on.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Great advice here.

12. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

well got home and everyone else seams to be doing fine. the damels that look sick, look 100% better that it did this morning. i did a 5 gallon water change a few minutes ago, i waiting for the water to mix around then ill test it. thank you guy for all the help i really appreciate all the help. I am bummed i lose so many fish, but i happy my Korean angelfish is doing ok. It was my parents idea to get so many tangs so they wouldn't feel lonely . I'm still learning the hobby so go easy on me. lol