Tangs and Carrots

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Robman, Jul 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

By polluting your tank, it's something we all do. Anything we put in our tank is pollution to a certain degree. If we put it in the tank, it's going to become the waste that we are always trying to fight ie. the need for skimmers, bio filtration etc..... All I'm saying is, we have access to the fishes natural diet. They are absolute herbivores in the wild and life off of algae, kelp, etc... That's all I was saying man. I personally feel that when the fish is healthy algae is all they need. I just don't trust terrestrial veggies because we don't know how much of that the tang actually uses and how much comes out the backside in waste. I just have always gone by the fact that since seaweed is natural, that's probably the optimum food for them

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I do feed brocolli, but I would say for sure that the majority of my tangs diet is either dried seaweed on the clip or hair that grows naturally in the tank. Stuff like that is good for variety and treats, but I wouldn't make it the primary diet.
    Rod's Food has carrots in it, and is a very popular food that people feed all the time. Knowing that, I would say there is most likely zero risk to the digestive tract or anything like that. Thinly slice some, put them on the clip and see what happens ;)
    I personally wouldn't get caught up on either end of "what is natural". Everything in captivity eats stuff that is not natural. When was the last time you saw a dog out catching wild salmon? ;) Did prehistoric man enjoy stout beer or Irish whiskey as much as I do? ;) Heck, 90% of the frozen mysis that are packaged as food that we all use are freshwater (cold at that).

1 person likes this.
  4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

and I absolutely agree here. I'm just saying that if the natural food source is available, why not use it?? I can see ur point though.

5. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I grow my own broccoli and feed it to my Sailfin Tang, just as a treat..
    I think it'll eat a hamburger if I gave it one..

Larry

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I know for a fact my clowns like pot roast ;)

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Fujin I like you already.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah.. rinse them off.
    Also I have books stating brocolli is good for their digestive system.

For the most part though the Nori is what they really need. It has a lot of protein and fats that most veggies don't have. And it's their natural food.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

11. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

Most things about the aquarium are not natural. . . the light, salt, sometimes rock, filtration. Aquariums are to recreate the ocean on land (without hurting the sea). Whatever achieves that I say is fair game (carrots included).

And, for the record, my tangs eat kittens.

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

If you can get them to eat beagles I would like to hire them.