Tangs and Carrots

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Robman, Jul 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fujin

Fujin Feather Duster

But then again, who doesn't?!?!?

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Funny, I'd love to feed my tangs terrestrial vegetables, but they won't touch them. I've tried lettuce and spinach - they don't recognize them as food. They LOVE nori, though.

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I wasnt trying to flame you, I was just trying to find out some real info on carrots, as they have alot of vitamins (Beta caratine sp??) etc. I want the best for them and sometimes the food we offer isn't all they need. IE we take vitamins when we are on a diet to supplement what our bodies are missing. I supplement Zoe and Marine C. Some use Selcon. I guess the word pollute hit me the wrong way. I take great pride in my water quality, and the health of my fish, I am sure you do too. I respect your input, I always have. You have been here awhile and have helped me in the past. There has been alot of mis-information on this forum lately. I just did not want to cause them a problem.

6. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I have never tried using veggies. Maybe I should give the lettuce or broccoli a try. However, my only concern here is; are the vegetables grown organically or chemically?
    Because I'm pretty sure that traces of chemical fertilizers could cause harmful effects in your tank. No?

7. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I keep broccoli in my tank all the time. My tangs, Flame Angel, and my shrimp love it and I have had no ill effects on the tank and they are all doing great.

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Your dog food probably contains elements not found in the natural diet of their wild counterparts.

Also the dietary needs of fish in aquariums may not be the same as fish in the wild. Fish in the wild will get a lot more exercise (avoiding predators), so it stands to reason they will need to eat more calories. Nori has a ton more calories than carrots and broccoli.

Nori - 5.2 calories per gram.
    Broccoli - .34 calories per gram.
    Carrots - .4 calories per gram.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Sane, sober, calm advice- priceless.

11. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

do they grow sea carrots now, I want some

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

forget the sea carrots, i want a pigfish for the bacon. lol. but on the subject , my tang or foxface wont go for anything other than nori. and ive tried extensivily with broccoli and spinach. so nori only, and theyre happy with it.