Tang hurtin'.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Froc3, Feb 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

He's doin ok, swimming fine. Less active than normal though. He usually swims up and down the back of the tank. Lately since my cleaner shrimp has died, he hangs out where the shrimp used to be... he swims close to the bottom all the time and his right gill is much less active than his left... any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

He might be getting parasites in that gill since the cleaner shrimp isn't there to clean him any more. If the cleaner shrimp died of natural causes get another one for your tang, since they form very symbiotic relationships. If the shrimp died from something specific fix it and then get another one. Also are you feeding supplemental marine algae (the good stuff you have to pay for, not the nuisance algae) and high quality food to him?

4. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I feed with vitamin enriched brine, blood worms, mysis shrimp(doesn't eat), flake food for herbivores, and dried algae sheets. He hasn't been eating much lately, however he is grazing on everything still... and shrimp died because the anemone ate him... i am ordering a pair of shrimp this weekend as well as a few more crabs for the cleaner crew..

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have a Kole tang and a lot of the time he does not come for food. It is very happy grazing on algae in the rock work.

I hate to be the Tang Police but 40G is very small for a tang

J

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I am sorry to have to agree with Jason.

Any chance of trading in at LFS...fish just may be stressed cause of lack of space...

Whenever I have a fish acting abnormal...I try to increase variety of diet and do some water changes...

They most always come around in time...

Good Luck!