Tang feeding question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by ianaco70, Mar 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

I just got two tangs (kole and naso) about 3 days ago from different places..I tried feeding them frozen brine, flake food, algae strips and they wont eat any of it...The kole tang only picks at the green hair algae on the rocks (which there isnt much of) and the naso only seems to eat some cheato I put in the tank..any idea of what to feed or how get them to eat?? thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

Mine loves broccoli, and also goes crazy for frozen cyclops.

1 person likes this.
  4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

My yellow tang, as well as the powder brown and sailfin that died on me, all ate frozen plankton. What kind of algae are you putting on the algae clips? You can get it in both red algae and green algae. You may want to try the other one.

edit: Also you can try soaking the food in garlic to encourage them to eat.

1 person likes this.
  5. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

Right now green nori i was thinking about trying the red or i think theres brown too. I used to have a yellow, blue hippo, and unicorn tang and all ate the green nori and brine...dont know why these tangs wont eat it...

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Yeah brown is an option too. I didn't know that until this thread got me researching. From what I learned going through my girlfriends marine biology notes, red algae is the preferred algae type for herbivores in the wild. My guys also seem to prefer the red to the green in my tank also. They do eat the green though which is weird that your guys wont.

They might still be adjusting to the tank life. Did you ask them to feed them for you at the store? and did they eat then if you did?

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I hope you get the Naso to start eating soon because they dont transfer well. Usually if you get a juvenile then they take up eating better then adults. I leave a piece of Broccoli in a clip every day and I also put Julian Sprung Red Weed - 30g: Premium Aquatics in the tank and the tangs go crazy over it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would recommend that too.
    i found some nori that is prepared for human consumption is treated in such away that some fish won't eat it, especially if its smoked.

you can try soaking food in garlic