Tang buddy (Muso) has ICK.. 10 4 Tang buddy

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by pavelow360, Aug 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pavelow360

pavelow360 Feather Duster

I may get two wrasses tomorrow... one to keep the other clean of ICK.. lol
    I will probably pick up a shrimp or two as well... been meaning to get at least one of them... anyone know if there is an issue with having two skunk shrimp in a tank?

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

no, you can definitely have more than one skunk shrimp in a tank.

4. pavelow360

well of course what I thought was ick seems to have disappeared from the tang... for now...(fingers crossed that it was not ick at all) I got one skunk shrimp that just hangs out in the back corner of the tank so far and the cleaner wrasse tries his best to clean the other fish...the Chromis are especially freaked out by him... he is successful at cleaning my maroon clown though ;D I think my maroon deserves some good looking after...hes got his but whipped on a couple occasions... sigh:-[ ...poor guy

5. pavelow360

Muso's confirmed (ICH)iness

The one day of reprieve was short lived and I can seen that Muso has ICK... he has been quite uncomfortable for 2 or so days now. I can see that the Maroon has some signs of discomfort as well.

I figure I will give Hypo salinity a shot rather than watching the fish die off then still having to wait a long period of time before being able to buy new stock for the tank. Who knows, it just may work.

Alright, I am just hours or minutes away from putting the plan into action. Just tired (Friday evening here in Japan) and getting my ducks in a row and considering my options for tank placement etc.

I am contemplating dipping a tang (muso), maroon clown, 2x chromis and 1 cleaner wrasse in formalin 3 for about a minute then starting the hypo salinity process.

Any comments, concerns or questions are welcomed.

6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Remember, inverts will die from hypo treatment, so you need to separate them from the fish (2 tanks).

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Cleaners, whether shrimp, wrasses or gobies, cannot eat ich off of your fish. Ich buries into your fish; it doesn't hang off of them like most other parasites. The white spot you see isn't the parasite; it's the cyst created around it. It usually shows up more than a day after the parasite actually burrows into the fish.

The only cleaners that may get to the ich are the ones that "cheat". They grab not just the parasite, but a chunk of your fish's flesh. That's more problems than it's worth, especially since those cleaners aren't as common as the legit ones.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. pavelow360

alright....Sept 3rd... finally felt like starting the hypo salinity treatment... tank has been set up for about a week now at 1.022... I tore the tank apart to catch all inhabitants and acclimated all my fish to the hypo salinity tank... on the 4 Sept. I will lower the salinity to 1.018

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Nope, just drop it right to 1.010. Hyposalinity works if you drop it quickly, and then maintain it there. The fish can adjust to it, the parasites can't and will explode because they will take in too much water in their attempt to equalize the salinity inside their bodies with the salinity in the tank. The fish's skin (as well as ours) allows them to keep their inside salinity constant, even though the outside salinity (tank water) is different. Parasites don't have this ability. That's why hypo is so effective against them.

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

For fish, that's good advice. They use a mechanism to pump salt out of their bodies, so they're relatively less salty than the water they're in normally. They should be adjusted slowly up to regular salinity, though, since that can mess up the fish.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I always drop the water down all at once.... I've done it at least 50 times... more I'm sure. You're pH will be rocky at first, but I use buffers and measure twice a day and top off accordingly. I bring it down to 1.009 (I've gone lower, but at my own risk, so I can't recommend it as it is just that.... my own risk). When I bring it back up, I just replace the evap with saltwater verses RO/DI. It'll be plenty slow that way.

Having said that, I have a fish I can't get the ich off of. It's been in several hypo treatments (this is the one I even brought down really low). Twice I put him back in the tank and it came back. The last time we removed the stressor and watched and waited. He cleared the infestation up himself.... but it's still in there, of course. I have a couple of Rhinopias I want to put in with him, but I can't risk them getting ich from him. Rock and a hard place, I'm afraid.