Taking the Rapid Plunge! (Light mounted with FTS!)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by insanespain, Sep 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Sorry to go off topic, I skimmed through the articles, still didnt get it. How exactly is PWM better?

4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

They are talking about pwm being better for dimming leds than lowering the drive current because lowering the drive current can cause spectrum shift etc. But meanwells and any other drivers that are available, all do their dimming by lowering the drive current. The "PWM" version simply refers to the type of input the driver accepts on its dimming input. The driver reads a pwm signal from a controller, and then lowers or raises the drive current based on the incoming pwm signal. So a pwm version of a meanwell isn't dimming your leds via pwm, it is still varying the drive current.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

So, insanespain, how are you liking the light? I've ordered UVs (398nm) from Aquastyle just now.
    How much % are you running those LEDs?

6. insanespain

I'm loving the light, but I havent been able to really enjoy it due to a bacteria bloom that will not go away. My water is so cloudy that I can't even enjoy how the light looks.

12 Royal Blues = 100%
    12 Cool Whites = 60%
    6 Neutral Whites/6 Royal Blues = 100%

That's my current setting. The xenia seems to be loving it now that it has acclimated to the lighting. I will probably play around with it some more if I can ever get rid of this bacteria bloom. It's pissing me off to no end right now. The Typhoon controller is just great though.

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Any kind of cloudy water sucks.
    Glad you're semi enjoying the light tho. I bet it's intense, you see the beam through the cloudy water.. I hope the water clears up soon. Are the critters doing ok?

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Oh yeah, the few corals I have are thriving and growing, fish are eating like pigs and swimming around. But it isn't exactly cool to watch through cloudy water. And yes you can see the beams through the cloudy water, and it basically knocks down all the shimmer. I've got another thread on it right now, it basically sucks.

10. butcherman

butcherman Plankton

how about an update? a FTS perhaps

11. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

When you plug in your typhon unit, does it appear like that? I have 2 typhon unit, but it blinking. I have try to push the menu stick but nothing. Did you have to set it up with a USB first? I am thinking return the unit and get my refund.

12. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

When you plug in your typhon unit, does it appear like that? I have 2 typhon unit, but it blinking. I have try to push the menu stick but nothing. Did you have to set it up with a USB first? I am thinking return the unit and get my refund.