Taking the Rapid Plunge! (Light mounted with FTS!)

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by insanespain, Sep 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I'm finally going to order a kit from rapid for my 65 gallon. Here's what I have planned for the build, maybe some experience people can offer a little additional advice. Anywho, here's the details:

Tank Dimensions - 36L x 18W x 24H

Goals - Softies/LPS dominant tank, (MAYBE one or 2 SPS up towards the top)

Heat sink - 8.460" x 30" from heatsinkusa

Leds - 36 Dimmable kit from rapid with Arduino PWM controller

12 Royal Blue
    6 Blue
    12 Cool White
    6 Neutral White

I do not want to hang the light any higher than 12 inches above the tank, so I do not know exactly which optics to go with.

Does anyone recommend optic choices? Any other opinions?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Insane I just ordered mine the other day, I also was unsure about the optics but Mike at rapid was a huge help. He will email you shortly after you place your order to see which optics you would like. I also have his phone number here if you would like to talk to him before placing an order. Just let me know and I can get it to you.

Jake

4. insanespain

Do you have his email? I would like to email him before I place my order, but I just saw a general email address on their site.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Here's the thing: you really need 60deg optics for your depth. But, with only 36 LEDs as close to the water as you're wanting, you'll probably have some spotlighting.

Choices: go 48 LEDs, use 60deg optics, be fully covered everywhere in the tank

or

Avoid the spotlighting by going with 36 LEDs, use 80deg optics and sacrifice the PAR low in the tank. Meaning you'll only be able to keep SPS up top.

Unrelated, I don't like blues. I'd use only Royal Blues, but that's personal preference. Blue's do not give you any actinic properties.

6. insanespain

Well I dont really plan on keeping ANY SPS actually. But I do like monti's and I figured if I ever got one I would just keep it at the top of my rockwork. That's a big IF and would be ALONG ways away. So do you think the 80 degree optics would work fine for my situation?

7. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I went with the 80 deg optics on mine (same tank). I'll dig through my email and see what I can come up with for an email address.

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

10. insanespain

Did you go with a 36 kit? Also how high are you going to be hanging the light above the tank?

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I'd venture that'd suit you.

12. cain

cain Astrea Snail

48 is for c0verage of the whole tank. with 36, and close to the water, you wont have much coverage on the edges AND when you add in the optics, the light dispersion is going to tighten up more.