Taking the battle to cyano! wish me luck.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Night-Rida, Apr 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

so far so good. no cyano. my green slimer acro tips are dead/white and coral is deep brown now.. but polyps are out and it will hopefully recover within next couple weeks. I even leave my daylights on longer now then before.. before if I ran them more then 6-6.5 hours cyano would form, now I got them 7.5-8 hrs and all is good. I did probly 20% wc after treatment and another 10% wc yesterday. skimmer is running like crazy, lots of water in cup..

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

update: skimmer is still overlfowing like crazy! even have it turned down too. no cyano still :) seems like other gha/bubble algae has slowed down too. my green slimer is still a brown slimer.. lol but polyps are out, so hopefully it will color up again. going to order some gfo phosphate remover too, since my fritz "alum. based" phos remover is about done. hopefully that will keep the algae/cyano at bay.

4. CoralQueen

CoralQueen Feather Duster

glad to hear the cyano is gone and hopefully for good!! sorry to hear about the discolored corals but I am sure they will come back around in no time! that new phosphate remover should definitely help keep all that bad algae and cyano out!

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

gratz man, i gotta do a treatment on my tank but im just hoping the gfo takes care of it

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well if you do use chemi-clean make sure you got a air stone installed and be ready to do a couple water changes after 48hours. it does work good though. I just wouldnt use it all the time.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

yeah i did a first dose but didnt get around to the next one. I just did a water change and called it good. Its not too bad once it loses its nutrients it will be all gone... or if i pick up 2 hydors

8. Click Here!

9. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

I ran chem-clean in my aquapod about a year ago after a long battle with cyano. It worked great and I haven't had an outbreak since. Scary to use, but totally worth it if it works.

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well time for a update.. after 3 months on my first trial use of chemi-clean, I finally started to see a little cyano patches show up. I think it was maybe my clownfish dying and not knowing it for a couple days = nitrate spike,etc.. so after 2 small water changes to suck up the cyano, it was back the next day.. so I decided to break out the chemi-clean again.. well the cyano is gone again, and just did a 20% WC.. this time there's only softies in this tank so I dont have to worry about my sps browning again..

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the success, hope it doesn't come back.

12. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

I used the ultra life red slime remover to battle mine, no need to do water changes with it once your done,and don't have to turn off or remove UV sterilizer, carbon reactor, or skimmer. but the skimmer foam's like crazy.