Taking the battle to cyano! wish me luck.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Night-Rida, Apr 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

This would have to be proven. There are many, many strains of bacteria in our tanks. I believe Chemi-Clean and Red Slime Remover are specific to the strain that Cyano feed on.
    This is taken from their site;
    -Safe for all reef Aquariums, all invertebrates, desirable macro algae, nitrifing bacteria and fish.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

here's a picture of my cyano/bubble algae from 1 month ago.
    [​IMG]

here's a picture from today. after ro/di changes, chaeto/mangroves addition, turkey basting, and now just started chemi-clean..

[​IMG]

hopefully after this I will have nice clean rocks and corals.. I want more coraline on my rocks not cyano/bubble/gha..

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I already did a full dose.. how do I know its working? does the cyano dissolve or just flake off the rocks and corals by itself?

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well I got some cyano forming on my sand bed today. I wondering if adding the stuff into my sump and not directly in the tank mattered? or dosing a little vodka last night might not have been a good idea.. I also placed airstone in sump not in tank. just fyi

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

It does state you may have to do 2 cycles (doses). I once had a real bad outbreak and needed 3 cycles of it. I would add it in the display directly in front of a power head and forget the vodka. If you have a wet/dry sump set up, that is fine for oxygen but a stone in the sump in the chamber with the return pump is a plus and won't hurt.

7. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

probly will do another dosing cycle, just sucks I have to do 2 wc's. I run a flat air stone in the sump too. also will add next dose directly to tank not below. its looking somewhat better today but it still wont be 48hrs til late tonite.

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

It does require time...be patient.

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well first dose is almost done. I'm going to do a 20% water change here in the next hour or two.. dont feel like doing it at midnite (48 hours).. so it will be like 44 hours total dosing time. I have seen quite a bit of cyano gone, but It just doesnt just magically disappear. I did just do a turkey baster job on what I've seen left. it did come of easier than normal, even though cyano comes of pretty easy. once I do this water change, I will put carbon,phos remover, and skimmer back on. only problem is my green slimer acro browned out in last 48 hours, I dont know if this is from the chemiclean or me clipping a dead tip off of it from my emerald crab damaging it last week. the polyps are out and still are green though. this is not my first acro to brown out, but the other one is coloring back up nicely in the last few weeks. also noticed once cyano is gone, gha is exposed.. but hey only can solve 1 problem at a time. if cyano comes back within 1 week, I will do another dosing of chemiclean.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Good luck rida, id like to know how your acro responds since im picking up a blue voodoo tomaroow or the next day!

12. PackerFan12

PackerFan12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

it will look the same the day after you add it but when I used it it just took it completely off the rocks the second day and it hasnt come back. KNOCK ON WOOD!