Taking the battle to cyano! wish me luck.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Night-Rida, Apr 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

The red slime removers do work a couple of things though you are going to have to leave your skimmer off for longer than a day more like a week at least the slime remover makes the skimmer go crazy I don't know if you mentioned this but I would suggest putting an airstone in the sump to keep O2 levels up. and lastly get a small powerhead and after you dose the tank use it to blow all the cyano off of your corals and rocks etc and get it all suspended in the water column and hopefully your mechanical filter will grab all the big chunks Good luck I have used it twice over the years and my friend has used it as well with great results.

2. Click Here!

3. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

I did the red slime remover and did not take out my carbon or turn off my skimmer and had no I'll effects. It took 3 days to complely clear

4. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

i would aslo add more flow

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I used it without turning off my skimmer and my skimmer flooded over HARD. it worked great but I didnt confront the ROOT of the problem and it game back. Since I increased flow i only have a little bit in the back corners of the tank. Think the random bacterial boosters would be a good add after the red slime treatment? I have some i got as a freebie to try out.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Vodka dosing? Smirnoff? lol How does this help the tank? Sounds dangerous... please explain.

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

if you use an algaecide or cyanocide make sure you have very strong aeration going on when the product works. Nothing sends ph crashing then a lot of algae dying all at once...lowers oxygen levels and then things just start snowballing. The less algae the better, so if I were you and I were using it I would:

add an air stone if you have one sitting around, every aquarist does it seems.... :) That should help with more surface agitation.
    do aggressive manual removal first.
    check my ph and alk, and monitor it again every few hours when the stuff is getting to work.
    QT fish if at all possible
    in the case of algaecide, remove all beneficial algae and it doesn't hurt to do the same with seagrasses and mangroves.

For cyano or hair algae though it seems a bit extreme, and then you still have the nutrient issue afterward. Sounds like you are already on the ball with that....I would just keep up the good work and enjoy the long term rewards it will yield. Good luck!

By the way, your tank sounds nitrate limited now. Wikipedia Liebigs law, they have a good explanation there of how that is applied to fertilizer and plant growth. You would just look at it the opposite way.

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

looks the same, but its only been like 13 hours.. finally results will be sunday night. I already have before pictures.. I'll get some after once done. I've read elsewhere it does help fight against bubble algae.. so we'll see.

I did do a little turkey basting today.. not much just a little, really want to see what this stuff does.

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

dont have any more powerheads, but the 2 1400gph sureflows with my return mag 3 give me like 3150gph in a 55g tank.. 57x turnover rate should be enough I would hope.

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale