Taking out and adding

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Hello Katie, Mar 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

I wish they wouldn't.

We started an 8g tank yesterday that will be the frag tank so once it's cycled and ready I'm planning on pulling out that hunk of insanity. No worries though, there's plenty more xenias on the other rocks to cause more problems! ::)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

luckily mine are segregated on a rock by itself. theyre growing up my over flow now. lol. should look cool if they fill that in , along with the gsp.

4. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

That's a good way to do it, but I'd still worry about the floating babies...I've found mine clear on the other side of the tank. I can't win with these things lol

5. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

I really like the look of your tank, how long has it been running? Also how big of a xenias colony did you start with and how long did it take to get that big?

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

not to hijack, but i bought 2 stalks about 3 months ago. i moved roughly 8 into a mantis tank. and now im up to prob 50 or so.

7. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

Mantis? I'm dying for a mantis, I can't wait to move out so I can get one. What kind do you have? I saw a peacock today at the store, it was huge.

The tank will be a year old in June. The xenias came on some rock and were about the size of a golf ball last November so it's been 6 months. I remember being exciting when they started to grow...pffffffft :angry:

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

I have a 29g cube, would you not recomend putting them in a smaller tank like ours again?

10. divott

divott Giant Squid

ive got a n.wennerae in a 10 gal. found it around xmas as a hitchhiker. took a year for it to show itself. i can hear its smashing a new cerith or nassarius as i type. lol

11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Putting xenia in any size tank can turn into a pain. Depends if they like your tank or not. They don't call it the weed of reef tanks for nothing. If you don't mind trimming it down a lot then go for it, the pulsing xenia can be pretty cool to watch.

12. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

These pulse, they're really pretty but I wouldn't do it again only because I want other corals. If you don't need the rock space for other corals then I don't see a problem with it.

Maybe cutting the stalk with a scalpel isn't the right way to rid of them? lol All my corals close up for days after messing with them. I heard pulling on them or picking them off the rock is another way to keep them in check but we had no such luck. I'm worried they'll kill other things from the constant sliming or whatever so I don't want to deal with them anymore.