Taking frags on planes?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

What are you thinking of getting? becuase since your staing in CA correct? then it shouldnt be more then a hour or 2 flight right? Zoas, palys,SPS would be fine for the most part...but most LPS wouldnt be able to last that long out of water...I left my sps out of water on accident for an hour and a half and they were fine. I forgot to put my zoa colony back in the water after fragging it and it was out for atleast 2 hours...its doing fine.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I was thinking about acros.. after reading all this. I might just get them locally or have them shipped. I don't like dealing with security in airports. :p

matt

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

No Joke! I had one of those "Mystery Tickets" right after 9/11 happened...guess it didn't help that I had a Grizzly Adams beard at the time. ;D

5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

My nickname at the airport: "Random Bagcheck"

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Aw Matt, come on, my wife was thinknig the other day about taking a trip to some LA to look at wholesaler corals. If you figured it out and we could fly down and carry back she might do it!

7. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Nice article! Thanks man! K+

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I can't think of any reason not to do it Matt. I wouldn't do it with a real fleshy LPS (like a bubble), but I'd think SPS and most softies would be fine with a wet paper towel.

Also, I thought you were in NY. You move? I guess I missed the update :)

11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I'm not going to try and talk anyone out of checking a box of coral, because I think you could easily get away with it... but here is what Delta has to say on their website:

And it seems that you can purchase a copy of the IATA LAR here:

Live Animals Regulations (LAR)

Seems like a lot of red tape that Delta uses to cover their own butts... and it seems you could risk seizure of your package if they find it and decide that they don't want you to carry it on or check it as luggage.

I personally don't know if it's worth the risk... my guess is that the vendors are shipping all of their stuff... but it would definitely be something you could ask around about at reef-a-palooza... surely lots of folks there go through that.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

excellent point