Tail fin fungus, please help!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by kcbrad, Mar 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay, so it is more opportunistic. Her tail fin is a bit shredded, so I'm guessing the fungus got excited when she was in the dirty bag water and latched on. So frustrating.

There are two spots on her tail fin. One spot looks like a white fuzzy dot and the other is a larger area that is white and looks fuzzy as well. It isn't round, but more of a patch.

I'll start treating with Pima tonight. I hate this. I'll have to turn of my skimmer and filter - and I just added 4 fish! Grrrrrr! :angry:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

If you want my honest opinion, I'd say just up the vitamins for the fish and increase water changes. If it's swimming fine and looks alright other than the patch of fungus, it may be able to fight it off. I really hate adding chemicals to a tank. I'm sure you do too, especially when that means your water quality might dip.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I know. I was thinking about waiting, but then I read if you don't treat fungus right away it's really hard to get rid of. So I just don't know what to do! I don't want her to die, or it to spread....

But if the water quality gets bad that won't help either.

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

is there any chance you can catch her and put her in a methylene blue dip for about 10 min or so till the white patches turn blue?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I could try....that sounds intense! She is a crazy jumper, so I don't know...lol

How do you do it?

7. Skylark

Skylark Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Does the tail fin look a bit like this one? this what mine looks like at the moment, the other spots left already.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. slocal

slocal Doot!

I dip all of my new fish in MB and RO/DI when coming home from the LFS. I usually set up the dip with MB and RO/DI in one container and then have a clean RO/DI container to rinse them off real quick. Just use the recommended dosage and keep the fish in there for at least 5 min, more if the fish is handling it fine.

sorry, my post meant to say 10min or so instead of 20min

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

No, the white on her tail is very bright and the fin isn't being eaten away yet.

Hmmm I will do some research on this. Thanks a lot for all your help!!