T5s Q&A

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Dr.Fragenstein, Nov 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

When I said Tek 8 bulb I mean the fixture... it is a fixture not a lamp.
    A tek and all the lamps shouldn't be $1000 even with all Gieseman bulbs it should be like $600, if my memory serves me, AND you could find it online cheap somewhere with all the new year sales....
    If you want the Current I would first switch out the bulbs, second if possible swap the reflectors to Ice Cap SLR or Aquactinic ones, they should fit. Then enjoy! Otherwise think about another fixture!

Happy reefing!

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Green tends to "pop" with T5 as compared to the other forms of lighting.... I had some issues with a few pieces bleaching but they will get used to it. How slow do you acclimate them to the light? Are you starting them at the bottom and working them up? How close to the light are they? Have you thought about raising the light up? If the corals don't bleach instantly from the light, it happens slowly, sounds to me something other than light. If you photo shock a coral it will bleach soon after exposed to the light... What are you params? Temp is STRONGLY linked to bleaching even more so than light.
    If you really want to get to the bottom(or top) of this, get a quantum meter, test your PAR and see where that is. There is such a thing as TOO much PAR!
    As far as bulb replacement UVL recommends every 4500 hrs which pales in comparison to other brands......

Happy reefing!

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i disagree Frag, Giesemann's bulbs say the same thing....?

5. thang45

thang45 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm lost.

I think I will stay with the coralife and if it doesn't work out then I will buy the T5.

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Where are you lost? It is a difficult decision giving you need to get it from Big Al's....

7. thang45

It is a very difficult decision. I would love to exchange it for a Tek if BigAls have them, but they don't.

I thought Current extreme is the fixture that I should exchange my coralife for, but I just found out that their bulbs are no good.

Can you please tell me where I can find Ice Cap SLR or Aquactinic and what is the price range?

I just got some 80bls live rock and 50bls base rock for my 90g tank. I will be going on vacation in a couple of days for 5 weeks. If I get the Current light and swap the reflector to Ice Cap SLR and the bulbs to Giesemans then do you think it is better light than the Coralife HQI 250W? If it is then maybe I will exchange it.

Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

One word... WOW! That was a thread to follow!
    That was everything I ever wanted to know about lighting Doc!

Is there anyway I can save this thread so I can review it later?
    (I'm new to this forum so please message me or PM because I have a hard time locating old threads... THANK YOU!!)

And another Thank you to you Doc! Totally learned something new today!

10. Dr.Fragenstein

The two lights in question are pretty similarly matched. The MH will be more costly to run in the long term as PC bulbs are not cheap to replace, what close to $35 a piece and you have four I think. Also they are energy ineffiecent, on top of the elevated energy bill from more watts you have to deal with many of those watts are wasted.
    If you want the glitter lines stick with the coralife, heck when the bulbs burn out get some Ushios in there and it will probably look decent.
    If you get the Current, you can get Icecap SLR and I believe Aquactinics SLRs at reefgeek.com I want to say the Aquactinics are like $24 a piece. If you cannot find them let me know, I will find them for you.
    Gieseman or UVL bulbs can also be found at reefgeek.com-I believe, I don't internet shop but am pretty confident they carry them.
    I would measure the the width of the Current reflectors though before you order the other SLR so you don't get something that won't fit!

If it was me, thang I would do T5 but in the end it is your call.

Happy reefing!

1 person likes this.
  11. Dr.Fragenstein

Optimist, go to the top of the thread and click on the tab that says thread tools, you have a few options... click subscribe, you will then get a notification in your user cp sreen that there is a new post. It also allows you to access the thread at anytime without having to search for it.

Also fantastic avatar!

Happy reefing!

12. thang45

This is an excellent thread. I have learned so much.

Thanks Dr.Fragenstein!

I will try to exchange for a different light, hopefully BigAls won't deduct too much because it is an opened box.