T5s Q&A

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Dr.Fragenstein, Nov 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Not at all, I would use the Aquablue Special in place of one of your actinic bulbs.

2. Click Here!

3. iCashew

iCashew Astrea Snail

Okay thanks, I'm excited for all of the bulbs to come in. I want to see how much they being the colors out since I was just running with the stock bulbs from a 48" aquatic life fixture.

4. iCashew

iCashew Astrea Snail

I have one more question and I have heard a ton of different answers. Am I able to keep a Maxima clam on the sand bed with a 4 bulb 54 w t5 fixture with 2 aquablue specials and 2 aqua blue plus bulbs? Or would I have to stick with a dersea or squamosa clam? The fixture is 6" above the water line.

5. IhasFish

IhasFish Plankton

i just want the t5 101. all that i know is that i need one to grow coral, and anemones.

what's the general rule of thumb? how do i determain how many watts i need for my size tank?

how do i read a spectrum chart?

and what is the par number?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes as long as it is under a light tube.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Rule of thumb is out the window with T5HO. You need to post what animals you are planning to keep and the dimensions of your tank. You can then be given a suggestion for the number of bulbs and height they need to be above your tank.

Spectrum charts are nice eye candy but you need to compare them to the various symbiont chlorophyl needs to see which match best.

PAR is Photosynthetically Active Radiation. These are the wavelengths that are used for photosynthesis. The number is a measure of the intensity of the light emitted by the bulb within the spectrum range measured for PAR. The higher the number the more intense the light.

8. Click Here!

9. IhasFish

IhasFish Plankton

Yikes sounds way over my head!
    So what has the best spectrum, and the most par out of HQI,T5, and LED?

my tank is a 120g. 4x2x2
    I just plan to have
    Xenia,mushrooms,zoas, and long tentical enemone

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would get a 4 or 6 bulb T5HO fixture like a Tek of ATI and use ATI bulbs in them. for the 4 bulb use 2 Blue Plus, 1 Purple Plus and 1 Aquablue Special. This should be enough for your planned corals. If you get a 6 bulb get an additional Blue Plus and Aquablue Special.

All of the lighting systems will work fine. The HQI system will use the most energy as you will need 2 250W bulbs. The T5HO is the middle unit for energy usage and the LED the least energy needy. The T5HO and LED offer the best options for spectrum control. The T5HO is the lightest on the pocket and the LED the heaviest.

11. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

Would this combination of bulbs be good for a mixed reef? Mostly LPS and some SPS with a few softies here and there.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes it would just mount the fixture 24" to 30" above your sand to keep from light inhibiting your LPS.