T5s Q&A

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Dr.Fragenstein, Nov 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poseidon

Poseidon Astrea Snail

No, I don't. Basically I have been going by my eye, and the camera light meter. I know what shutter speed, aperture, and ISO I can shoot fish at, and if that changes, then I know something is wrong.

Plus, I have been experimenting with different bulbs, so I am changing them frequently to find the "right" combination.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Any other questions folks?

4. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Why do the Ice Cap Ballasts overdrive?

Ice Caps are VHO ballasts and can supply enough current to each bulb to safely over drive them.

How much do they overdrive each size bulb 24"? 36"? 48?

Don't know the exact numbers but
    24 is around 48W
    36 is around 65W
    48 is around 80W
    80 is around 92W

When using an Ice Cap should you use a fan to cool the bulbs?

All T5 function better if the ends are kept cool, this is called the cold spot and is about a inch from the ends, the rest of the bulb needs to maintain a certain temp or there can be a reduction in PAR, This is especially true when over-driving the bulbs
    Any other ballasts that overdrive?

I never tried personally but any T5 ballast can over drive a bulb but both outputs are used to drive the bulb, so you would need a ballast per bulb

An Ice 440 can drive 2 54W bulbs
    Icecap 660 can drive 4 54W bulbs

It is very important to use reflectors that surround each bulb, this puts the most light into the tank and what really gives T5 high PAR numbers.

5. card shark

card shark Flamingo Tongue

i was just wondering whats the differnce btween the T-5 fixtures you see at lowes and the ones you find for are tanks.the ones at lowes are only 20 bucks for a 2 bulb strip at 24" and 27 bucks for a 36" strip.they would work great for a retro kit if they would work or build a custom hood.Thanks JOE

6. silverwolf72

The ones at Lowes are normal output not high output
    They don't come with good reflectors, the icecap SLR reflectors will give you almost twice the amount of a poor reflector
    They would work for a fish only tank

7. card shark

card shark Flamingo Tongue

i have already thought of the reflector,i have sheets of thin aluminum i can polish.Also i can find any specs on the ballist they use from the lights from lowes.the ballist is what makes the difference, right.

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the 48 inch ones that are just a strip at lowes are only like 36watts or something like that.normal reef ones with work horse ballast are 54watt,and icecap can over drive them to 80watts and you loose up to 6 months off the bulbs

10. silverwolf72

48" T5NO are 28W
    The reflectors for T5 are polished silver and 98% reflective on average
    If I were going to make my own fixture I would just do it out of some nice lumber a T5 retro kit and some fans built in.

11. longballz84

longballz84 Spaghetti Worm

upgraded my lighting

so today when i was on my local fish club website, there was a guy selling a nova extreme pro with 6 bulbs...

currently i have a 4 bulb PC....then when he said he was only looking to get $250 for it, i jumped on it, and took the 30 min drive....

i know i should be slow with the transition between the two lights, but i had to put it on just to see the difference...but honestly, anything would look better than the P.O.S. that has been on there...

my question is that with 6 bulbs i can make various combinations of lighting...just generally, which combination of bulbs will produce good growth and overall output...

im not really sure what else to ask, my tank is dominantly softies, with two monti caps and one acro that has been doing fine under the PC's....

in the future, i plan on trying to attempt to keep more SPS and LPs if possible with this lighting setup...

my tank is a regular 55 gal. with over 60 pounds of live rock, and a 'fuge with a DSB, rock, and my skimmer...

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I know it sounds and looks enticing to see a cheap fixture that on paper looks like it will work but trust me there is HUGE difference in bulbs reflectors and so on. I have met many people that have tried to use lights/fixtures from hardware stores and the like and ended up either making another DIY out of AQUARIUM lighting components or bought a AQUARIUM fixture. Try it if you like but in all reality it will likely be upgraded in the near future.
    Take fixtures by aquarium companies for example, a Coralife or Nova fixture has NOTHING on a Tek or TX5, Solar Flare or Power Modual. So imagine the disadvantage you'r be to use one thats meant to light up a shop to cut wood in.

Good luck and remember NEVER skimp on lighting, go ahead and skimp on whatever else but NEVER lighting;D