T5 vs. PC

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by yoshikuni, Feb 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yoshikuni

yoshikuni Astrea Snail

Well it seems like I'm veering away from the M-Tank due to unjustifiable costs. So I've decided to build a sump system how a good reef-keeper should. Going to use a 3 foot glass tank as a display, and a suitable size (obviously smaller) tank in the stand to make a DIY sump/refuge.

Anyway, I need some advice on lighting. I've been looking at a couple of different systems at our sponsors and can't decide between a Power Compact hood or a T5 hood.

Theres a 36in 2x96W PC with a total of 192W, then theres a 4x39W T5 with a total of 155W.

Now theres a question of light variety, the 2x96W PC comes with Dual Daylight (10,000K and 6700K) and dual actinic (420nm and 460nm). But the T5 fixture only comes with two 10,000K and two 460nm bulbs, I'm not sure if I can get 6700K and 420nm T5 bulbs, but then do I really need such a variety of light for reef? :confused:

So finally it comes down to this: T5 vs. PC, which system/setup will put out more lumens, watt for watt? :confused:

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I will live and die by MH nothing beats them. Tried and true.

BTW what is a M-Tank

J

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Oh MH wasn't one of the choices sorry

J

5. yoshikuni

yoshikuni Astrea Snail

I simply can't afford a MH system right now, both for the setup and added electric costs. lol

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

T5's are the way to go. You will get more useful light watt for watt from them over the pc lights. BTW the 10k and 460nm T5 bulbs are all you need for a reef tank. If Covey reads this post he has a set of t-5's, and can verify what I just typed.

Jim

7. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

I will second the T5 approval, Also you will get more lifespan out of your T5 bulbs vs. PC bulbs. They run cooler to.

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

If cost is a factor, go T5, but I think PC would benefit a reef far more. More output wattage and I've seen corals go nuts on the PC's. 2x96w is what I'm actually upgrading to w/ MH HQI though. IME, flourescents die off extremely fast, and when they do, they get extremely weak and cause cyanobacteria to thrive full force.

I'm actually quite surprised a lot of reefers went with the T5's vs PC's. Humm... it's up to you, I say... PC's! That setup you got planned is nice! I'm not that satisfied with my T5's and have seen PC's in action, definetly brighter!

10. yoshikuni

yoshikuni Astrea Snail

hmm... interesting... theres definately two different groups who swear by their choice. people who have T5 swear by it but some convert to PC.

Is there anyone who switched from PC to T5 and loved it?

11. yoshikuni

yoshikuni Astrea Snail

A M-Tank is the Finnex M-Tank Acrylic 20 or 32G with built in filtration+protein skimmer system that also comes with a PC light fixture. premiumaquatics.com has it.

Was originally gonna go get this system and save the trouble of piecing a system together and building a sump, but it turned out that it would be cheaper if i built the system myself. ;D

12. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I also have T5HO and like it. Good bang (or lumens) for the buck.:)

Mike