T5 to LED acclimation

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mdbostwick, Dec 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Oldreefer

Oldreefer Astrea Snail

Agree with Corailline. Be initially conservative with intensity. As far as RBTA's are concerned, I have kept several for years and find them to be very unpredictable. Start them out low and they will move to where they want to be.

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

The RBTA seems to be doing well. He is my first anem so from all my research he seems to be doing well. I actually started him about mid depth in my tank and he moved downward on the rock he was already on when I got him so now on the bottom side of it reaching around to the top. (wasn't a fan of putting foreign LR in my tank but was not going to risk pulling him off) He is inflated, his mouth is closed. I have not tried to feed him yet. And I still have the old T5s running right now for about a week hopefully.

So my plan as it is now, I am going to leave the lighting how it is now until the LEDs arrive. I will set them at ~25% and decrease my photoperiod to 8 hours. I am thinking every 2 weeks I will increase the intensity by 10% until I hit Marshall O's "sweet spot", at which time I will increase the photoperiod back to 10 hours.

I would love approval/disapproval/advice/criticism. You won't hurt my feelings for telling me my plan is dumb if it is dumb but this is how it will go down unless i get other input.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

LOL, please never refer to it as my sweet spot haha. But as mentioned, only increase by 5%. I have completely bleached corals by raising intensity too fast. Otherwise, I live your plan.

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

LOL!! Alright 5% per 2 weeks.