T5 or mh for reef tank?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by KHouck, Jan 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. element

element Fire Worm

How much are bulb replacements going to cost over the next 3 years? Of course you can do it with the T-5's. In the long run LED's will take over this hobby. They last forever(a long time), they are cooler and cheaper to run. You also can now achive THE SAME PAR with LED as you can MH. And you get that shimmer effect.

2. Click Here!

3. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I feel like LEDS are kinda the cheating way to have a reef tank. The leads are popping the coral, not the coral is popping its self. IMO

4. KHouck

KHouck Plankton

Is there an up to date price quote on how much it would cost to diy a 125 with leds?

5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Well... lets do some math.

8 x 34" bulbs @ $21 = $164 This is every nine months IF you stay with your 4 bulb system
    12 x 34" bulbs @ $21 = $252 This is if you upgrade to a pair of 6 bulb fixtures
    3 x MH @ $60 = $180 These also allow you to have any wattage you want for basically the same price.

basically, what it comes down to is that IF you stay with a pair of 4 bulb systems, the price for MH would be the same. The T-5 systems would allow you to change the coloring to your liking with ease, however, I don't think you would be happy with a 4 bulb system. That just isn't much light for a 125, especially without individual reflectors. If you upgraded to a 6 bulb system, it would be cheaper in the long haul to go with MH, barring electrical use anyways.

6. element

element Fire Worm

It all depends on what light you put in. You could say the same about antics in t-5.

7. aquariaman

Very true!! I want my corals adjusting to my light, not me adjusting the light to the corals!

8. Click Here!

9. element

element Fire Worm

Your close at 850. Check out www.reefledlights.com for a diy site.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

how do you figure? T-5s have all sorts of tweaked out spectrums these days... There is of course the argument that leds don't provide enough uv to promote growth of colorful uv protective pigments, however, there is also the argument that colorful uv protective pigments aren't actually colorful, but instead are clear. Everything else being equal, light is light, regardless of the source.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Also, uv protective pigments, do not have anything to do with coral health. Boring brown corals can be some of the most healthy...

12. aquariaman

Just an opinion. Not a fact or anything!