t5 lights for a 30 inch deep tank

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by fresnosaint, Apr 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi my tank is also 30 deep & i use aquaray led units & they work very well. i was told they are at there max light till 25 deep but i have put blue mushroom & green star palp & they have mutiplyed like mad & spread right across the bottom off my tank.
    Thanks K

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

The two fans or so that would be in a fixture for active cooling will help dissipate the heat. If you were to go with a Powermodule or an Aquactinic fixture heat shouldn't be an issue, esp on a 100 tall.

As far as what you can use... If a fixture is up your alley go with a 7 bulb Constelllation or build an 8 bulb retro, I know you don't want a canopy but a retro will save you big time $$. A Constellation can easily go for close to a grand and that doesn't include bulbs.
    Wait your tank is 4 feet correct?

As a reference 23" or so to my sand bed dead center I have 270 uMol/m2/sec, easily enough to grow SPS.....
    But on the sides where the bulbs end(5' lamps) I have 193 and 119 which could still grow SPS but slower and not as colorful.

T5 is capable of lighting your tank you just need to plan ahead. Leave the bottom for mushies or blastos or other LPS that don't really need much light!

Happy reefing!

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Depends on your ambient temp in your house, I keep my house at 70 year round and have 8x54w T5's in a tek light over my 90g and my heater is on alot to keep the tank at 78 degrees

5. fresnosaint

fresnosaint Plankton

i agree with you. my house should be around 80 this summer so even if i had to put alittle external fan blowing accross the top of the tank i shouldnt have to battle heat issues..that was also a good point about retro kits being cheaper than fixtures i hadnt considered that. one thing definatly not an option is led...they sure are cool though.