T5 Bulb Combinations w/ Pictures

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by GuitarMan89, Feb 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

A little heads up on white balance. I suggest everybody check out their cameras different white balance settings to make sure their getting an actual representation of their lighting color. (I just messed with my camera settings, and there is a big difference)

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Too Blue? never, I think it looks great!

4. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I think i'm going to try this next time i change my bulbs...i love how the corals pop out like that!!!

Aqualung, is it really this blue on your tank?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  5. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

It's a tiny tiny bit whiter, but yes. The fiji purple bulb counters the blue a little, from what little info I found on it, it's more of a 10k (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The colors POP! The fiji really brings out the reds and purples. It's an awesome bulb combination.. I like it better than white spectrums.

6. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Awesome!! I've been looking for a decent bluer spectrum lighting, and alas i haven't had any luck! But now I know what I can do!!!

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

True. I have a point and shoot. I can manually set my white balance but that is a PITA as I have to do it each time I turn the camera on... doesn't save it.

But I can also change it from 'auto' to 'fluorescent'. While this isn't perfect, it is a lot closer to reality than 'auto'. And this setting is easy to do.

(hp R717 camera BTW).

Here's my thread where I was experimenting with these settings: http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/experimenting-camera-60912.html

8. Click Here!

9. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

Does anyone know if overdriving with an icecap ballast effects the spectrums at all? I seem to be getting a much whiter light since my ballast has been repaired. Running 2 ATI aquablue specials and 2 UVL superactnics at 54watts overdriven to 80

10. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

When I switched my ATI Blue Plus to my Ice Cap they are not as Blue. Now is this because they are brighter or did it change the kelvin? I cannot answer that.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I believe it does shift the spectrum and thus the temperature of the bulbs, also shortens the life considerably, but you get 80 watts out of it.

12. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

I guess my next question would be whats a more stable actnic when overdriven.. I really liked the blue but now its pretty white