T5 8 bulb fixture problem

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by CBSurfrider, Dec 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Now that I built my stand to put the T5 fixture on... When I plug it in the fans turn on about five minutes later and there is a god awful screeching noise coming out of one of them. Also the only spot on the fixture that gets warm is right where this defective fan is. Can I cut the wire thats inside the fixture to the fan or is it important to keep the fans running? I can't keep the lights on with this noise though is ridiculous. I bought it used so I can't return it..

On the plus side all the bulbs that were in it when I bought it work except one. What a difference!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would replace the fan. If you can get inside to cut the wire you should be able to replace it. Manufacturers test and model the fixtures for efficiency and safety so replacing would be the wisest choice.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Id replace the fan like 2 in 10 suggested. who makes the fixture? By the way, how ya been 2 in 10?

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I believe it's a knock off of some sort. I bought it from a guy off my local reef society forum. I don't see any label on it at all..

Another question: This fixture has three separate power cords. What type/brand of timers are you all using? I have a couple from my other fixture but they take up three plugs in my power strip.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I used Coralife power strips and a controller with my tanks.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Never used timers

8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I have to go with timers because my schedule is too random to rely on myself flipping switches. For now I have my "blues" on a timer then I turn on the daylights an hour later, then vice versa at night. I'm off this week so I can do it, but I need to figure out something before I go back to work.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Put the whites on another timer.

11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I need to find room for another timer. All my outlets are being used and my power strips are clogged up from the bulky timers I'm using now. I'll go look and see about a different design power strip.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Is there something special about the coralife power strip?