T5 6 Bulbs Best Brand/Combo?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by MoJoe, Feb 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I totally agree on the tightness factor. As a matter of fact, I don't think it will fit with decent reflectors. I'm helping someone get their 70 set up and he just got an awesome deal on a six lamp retro setup. Those 6 are BARELY going to fit over his 70 and he probably will need to angle in the outside bulbs.

I'm also going to second the recent poster's recommendation on Giesemann bulbs. Awesomeness in a tube.

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hmm yeah I may need to re-think it and just get a 4bulb T5 fixture, just stinks cause this one would be a straight trade. I'll have to make sure and go check it out again, it's on a 90g currently.

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

If money is no object then IMO you should go ATI all the way. Regarding the bulbs, well

x3 Aqua blue special
    X1 Actinic
    x1 blue plus
    x1 pro colour

The best T5 technology on the market if you ask me. Probably one of the most expensive too tho..

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

That's a great deal because IMHO, the PC unit isn't worth more than 75 dollars tops. I know guys that donate their PC lights to a local group for a tax write off because they can't get even 50 bucks for them.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

ATI bulbs are usually about 5 bucks a bulb cheaper than Geissemans, and better in every respect than Gman's for all bulbs from the test results I have seen.

7. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

4 bulbs total;
    Front Fixture (turns on first);
    Aquablue +
    Actinic +
    Back Fixture (turns on 45 min. after front fixture)
    Aquablue +
    Pure Actinic

The back fixture is the Glo 2 bulb;
    Hagen Glo T5 HO Linear Flourescent Lighting System Double 36in

The front is a Nova Extreme 2 bulb that I installed in the Half Canopy.

Tank is a 55 gal.

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thx for all your feedback & awesome tank pics everyone. I took a look at the fixture this weekend and decided I couldn't comfortably get it over my tank. Since I have a HOB Remora I would have to jack the fixture up about 9" to clear the skimmer. I set it up and decided it looks way too high and the overhang of light is much too bright when I'm observing the tank (which I do a TON). I will save up for a 4-bulb T5 fixture instead & use your great advice on bulbs when I get it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i have 4 54watt t5's over a 55 gallon tank.1st i had uvl bulbs,then geisman,now coralife.they were all the same accept coralife was'nt as bright.i'm happy their dimmer cause i had too much light with the others.i may still need to raise them higher.right now their about 4.5 inches from the water surface.its a soft coral tank and even the few lps i have are over lit