t-5s vs Halide

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by coldshot, Mar 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

i believe theres no ending to this story, its like talking about what is better if Nissan or Chevrolet! rofl! either thing Dasco if you go for a nice T5 fixture with high quality bulbs you will do just fine!

2. Click Here!

3. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

are 4 54 watts enuff sounds kinda soft to me...even 6 sounds light...

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Personally, I think 4 wouldn't be enough. He stated he wanted to do hard corals.

The 6 with individual reflectors would be enough for most, as long as the bulbs are replaced in due time.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have kept most lps fine under these. The problem is when you want to start moving up to sps, clams and such. have some sps, but they don't have good color. I had a great purple montipora digitata that was bright purple when I got it, but browned out and become a maroon/brown color.
    If you go with a six bulb setup up, with individual reflectors, you should be fine.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Nova Extreme Pro 48" 6 x54 ($450)
    Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

Tek 6x 54 48" ($390 or $340)
    6 Bulb 48" Tek Light T5 Fixture Bulk Reef Supply

I can actually get it cheaper too, I could get it for $340. If you made 3 purchases and do 3 reviews on bulkreefsupply.com you get a permanent discount.

7. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

Since you are not getting into SPS corals and a 55g is not as deep as other tanks, you can get away with T-5's. I would say getting either the 4 bulb Current USA SunDial, it comes with 4 buls and moonlights, with integrated timers. Or for a little more light, getting the Current USA Nova Extreme Pro

Definitly shop around, there are some good ideas on this thread already.

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

the 6 buld is 15 inches wide my tank is only 12.....with the sundial you have to pay extra for th emounting legs and extra for the acrilic splash guard...kinda cheesy isnt itt...

10. coldshot

I am going with the 4 bulb from doctors foster and smith...thnx...
    MAYBE I just found the teks are 40 bux less...which is best tek or sundial..??

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

You can get the 6x54W Nova at MarineDepot for $379.
    48 inch Current USA 6x54W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 3-10k/3-460nm Actinics

The Tek does not include the mounting legs which are $60 more. Also doesn't include the splash shield.

12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Hey thanks.

I looked into the Sundial line a little. I didn't go for it because they only went up to 4 bulbs. They do have the moonlights though but I really don't miss them.

I've had so many timers fail on me over the years I decided I didn't want them as part of the fixture. I plug them into a power strip. They're easier to adjust there than on the back side of the fixture.

Not a bad fixture though. Especially if moon lights are a deal breaker for you.