T-5's Vs 250 MH

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Reefguy, Mar 28, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

2. Click Here!

3. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

positives, Just want to make sure that 2 of those t5 systems will be able to support my 75 gal tank, I mean im not going to be keeping any clams or anything but I would like to have some Sps on top and of course LSPs on the sandbed

4. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey ReefGuy,
    That definately is a cheap price on those lights. I can't tell what kind of reflector they have. T-5 need their own individual bulb reflector to get the max light into the tank. I can't say if I would buy or not. ::) Buyer beware I guess. Hope it works out if you purchase.
    Keep the fire extinguisher handy. ;)
    Scott

5. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

lol... damnit this isnt suppost to be a buyer beware country. But its such a good price you gotta beware of something. I think its just cheaply made. I knw the bulbs will suck and the reflector as well, but how much light do you think I will be losing? It should be good enough for LPS and softies.

6. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

ReefGuy,
    I guess I would check return policy and if you get these just buy 1 and check it out before getting the other. Hate to pay shipping twice butt????
    Scott

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

My SPS is doing great under 6x54 watt of T-5HO. The color actully improved on my acro once I got them in the tank. I got a standard 75g and T-5 lighting and I am very happy with it. The fact the the light is spread out would actully be to your advanatage in a prop tank because you would have more usable space. Since this is a prop. tank I am guessing this does not have to be the prettiest set up in the world your could save a ton by buying retro. I only spent $400 for my light including bulbs.
    Aqua medic and Coral-vue make bulbs that are around $20 a piece. So my bulb replacement cost is 120+shipping ever year and a half.
    If you are fragging and propagating coral I am guess you are going to try to sell it for a profit? Well the best reason to run T-5 over MH is that the T-5 are 40% more energy effiecent. The less you spend operating the tank the more you might actully make.

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

The biggest problem with T-5HO is that the don't waste enough wattage for the mega gas guzzling SUV loving America market to respond to. (Sorry Rant)

10. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

thats an interesting and funny concept

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Sorry Reef guy I think I should pay more attenion to the post. I think 3 of the those Aquatrader light would do the trick. 6 bulbs. Adleast that is what I am running on my 75g.