T-5 supplement- What bulbs to add?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin_E, Mar 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks for your input.

Yes, the blue look is overwhelming in my tank. The greens stand out, and it looks nice, but it's not what I like/am used to; same with the brightness. Plus, the reds/purples, which really stood out under halides, are dull.

I think I have the blue covered. Just need to hit those shaded/undersides and add the balance out the spectrum to prevent wash outs of the reds/purples.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

2 x 24w, app. 4" off the water. As for color, it's more whitish-purple. Here's a pic from when I was using them.

[​IMG]

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I wonder if an Aquablue Special would be better than for my needs?

Aquablue Special

Combines the properties of a full-spectrum bulb with an elevated blue color peak producing a bulb with an approximate color temperature of 15,000K. Recommended as a stand-alone bulb or in combination with Blue Plus, Purple Plus, True Actinic, or other supplemental T5 bulbs.

Coral Plus

Combines the properties of a Blue Plus (~50%), Aquablue Special (~40%) and Purple Plus (~10%) producing a bulb with a cool, crisp white color with hints of red and blue. The higher blue component compared to an Aquablue Special produces better fluorescence in capable corals and the red component is excellent for color rendition. Approximate color temperature: 15000K+. Recommended Use: As a stand-alone bulb or in combination with Blue Plus, Purple Plus, True Actinic or other supplemental T5 bulbs.

Blue Plus

Combines the properties of a blue bulb (approximately 460nm) with an actinic bulb (approximately 420nm), producing an intense blue light with high PAR numbers and a light spectrum that encourages both bluing in SPS corals and fluorescence in capable corals. Also helps balance a washed out/ yellow-hued tank. Recommended as a supplement to metal halides or in combination with Aquablue Special, Purple Plus, or other full spectrum T5 bulbs. Can also be used for dawn/dusk applications. (Similar to KZ Super Blue)

Purple Plus

Combines the properties of a full-spectrum bulb with strong red and blue components, producing a bulb with excellent color rendition that works very well to bring out pinks, purples and reds in an aquarium. Recommended in combination with at least two or more other T5 bulbs, like the Blue Plus and Aquablue Special. Not recommended as a stand-alone bulb. (Similar to KZ Fiji Purple)

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Can't really speak on the AquaBlue Special as I've never seen a tank with just that bulb. (In most cases, it's used as a single-bulb supplement with a varied mix of others). Here's a link to 2in10's thread; that's a 75g with a 4 x 54w T5HO fixture, employing 2 Coral Plus and 2 Blue Plus bulbs. Keep in mind, whichever bulb or combo you choose, you can always adjust the coloration with the LED. :)

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...ns-75-last-picture-81680-200.html#post1504134

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yep, that's why I am thinking of getting the whitest bulb ATI makes. The LEDs are really blue, so I can adjust it to my taste, unlike if I get bluer bulbs.