T-5 supplement- What bulbs to add?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin_E, Mar 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Update:

****SEE MY LAST POST****

Any thoughts on these? I have 24 LEDs over my 20 gallon SPS aquarium. I recently switched out my halide for them but I am becoming concerned that the LEDs may struggle to promote the growth and color that I saw with my halide. Additionally, I fear I am lacking in some spectrum that the T-5 will sure to account for. I was thinking about adding a blue plus and coral plus that sits about 8" off of the water.

Will this provide any considerable par?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

It's not uncommon to see a temporary change in coral color and growth when you switch lighting, as they need to adjust their zooxanthellae to the new spectrum/intensity, so I wouldn't recommend too many changes too quickly.

That said, what LED unit are you using?

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Cree DIY from Rapid LED.

I expected the change I'm seeing now (besides washed out reds), just worried about the future.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So here is the deal, I want to know what bulbs I should buy for my system. I was leaning towards a Blue Plus and a Coral Plus from ATI, but my system is already pretty blue, but that will likely chnage as I crank my LEDs up slowly through acclimation (I get a whiter color). I want to make sure I cover full spectrum and get great par. I want to shoot for a 14 K look, so would 2 coral plus be better? I can adjust my blue LEDs to compensate, but the biggest thing I want is proper spectrum as I would be devastaed to lose my SPS over inadequate lighting.

Here are the specs:

I have 24 total LEDS on a 6x20 heat sink.

* The light sits 6-8" above the water line.
    * The coral are about 13-16" below the light.
    * They are mostly SPS coral (mostly Acropora spp. and Montipora spp.)

I have:

8 royal blue (80 degree optics)
    4 cool blue (80 degree optics)
    4 Neutral white
    4 violet
    2 cool white
    2 cyan

I want to add 2 T-5 units with individual reflectors. Is there a negative to mounting them on the front and back of my canopy of a 45* angle (maybe a 30* angle would be better?)? If I lay them flat, they will be almost directly over the rim, or within a inch or two front and back.

Do you think this will be more than sufficient for my SPS coming from a 250 watt metal halide?

These: Hellolights 24 Inch 2 x 24w T5 HO Retrofit Kit : 24 inch T5 HO Retrofit Kits

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

So this is how I plan to configure this. Thoughts?

The tank is 12" wide, as is the canopy, that's the reason for the angle. If I put the T-5s flat, they would basically spill over the front and back. Should it be 30degrees or 45 degrees?

Attached Files:

7. Mr. Bill

Given the distance from the water, I don't believe you'll see much difference either way, as far as lighting the tank is concerned; however, you might want to avoid over-illuminating the front glass with the rear tube, or you may end up constantly scraping film algae, so I'd suggest mounting at 30 degrees.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks.

My main goal is to introduce full spectrum and bring forth my reds/purples that are washed out under LEDs. I'll do this with two Coral Plus bulbs. Additionally, I want to get rid of the shading and illuminate the underside of the corals that LEDs struggle to do.

I think two T-5s (about 5" from water) should accomplish those goals.

10. Mr. Bill

That should work. :)

You may need to acclimate to the addition as the CPs alone put out a ton of PAR. I never could get mine up to a full-length day with my mushrooms and a couple leathers. :-/ Loved the color of them, though.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks for the tips. How high up did you have them? Perhaps I'll just run my t-5s and white LEDs during the middle portion of the light cycle only.

My SPS are a little perturbed with me right now. I made some rock structure changes 3 weeks ago and then introduced the LEDs 1.5 weeks ago. They don't have the polyp extension they did have under the halide and they haven't been extending their feeding polyps at night. Color looks good still, however.

Were the Coral Plus bulbs a whiter look (I really hope so), because my LEDs look too blue to me coming from the Phoenix 14K bulb.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's a tough one. Hard to tell really without seeing your LEDs in action but a pretty safe bet would be either two blue + or a B+ and Actinic for some pop.
    Two B+ for more PAR( maybe a coral + ) , actinic for more fluorescence. Depends on the look you like.
    If it's possible to program those LEDs to go all actinic during dusk dawn with 2 B+ on that would be nice.
    Also it may seem a bit strange to supplement LED with LED but people are doing it for even coverage no shadows. Reefbrites and BuildMyLEds may be worth a look. I saw some before after photos around somewhere. Personally I would still go with T5. Probably a coral + and B+ just to play it safe and get a well rounded spectrum.
    Edit: Ah just read you may want a little whiter. Yeah the C+ is an excellent bulb.