T-5 Help

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Bruce, Apr 3, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hello everyone,

Well...I have decided not to upgrade my lighting to Metal Halides...because...well im chicken about the results. Im thinking maybe to go one step before and do with some T-5s...the only problem is...that i dont wanna just get 4 bulbs...2 close to what i already have...and my tank is not deep only 12ins deep....so anyone know of some high wattage t-5 fixtures i can use maybe around 400+ w...or maybe i should go DIY?

Edit: i really want to do somthing....im just not liking how the tank looks with the pc lights right now...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I was looking at those, what is the width of the actually bulb area?

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

You can grow high light SPS just fine with 4 bulbs over a 55G. The 8 bulb Tek won't fit over a 55G. If you think you need more light you could get a Icecap 660 and overdrive 4x54W bulb to over 80 to 85 watts a peice. Bright enough to do what ever you want in a 55g.

6. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i agree with vamp on that bad boy, i was going to use the four bulb version on my 15g until i decided to go mh (shimmmy). if the wattage isn't enough on the six bulb (because the 8 bulb would be too wide with overspill), you may want to look into a matching hood for the tank and retrofit the wattage that you need. sunlight supply offers retrofit kits with individual reflectors (which is the key piece of equipment) and if you included a hood...it would probably run the same cost as a tek light fixture would.

unless vamp is going to hook you up with a killer deal of course....$$$

***by the way, here is a link to premium aquatics that will show all variations of the lighting available...hth. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SunlightT5

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I've only got 348W of T-5s over a 75G and I've got 6 more inches of tank to cover. Good T-5 are way brighter than your given them credit right now. If you added 400+ watts over a 55G you would just bleach everything. I think you would really like the 4 bulb Tek rig.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmmm interesting...you think 4, would 6 be too much?...im just asking because if im gona just spend more money for slightly better lights...i might just not o_O

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmm no moonlights :(

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

The Tek SLS reflectors are 2" wide so you could run the 6 bulb set but the edge of the light would hang off the front and back of the tank. Like I said I don't think you will need 6 bulbs but it might offer you more dusk/dawn options.
    If you don't feel like wiring a retro they have these out from SLS now too. You could just add sets until you have the right amount of light.
    http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104932.html

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Ok well...after researching some stuff thanks Covey (Karma for u) im probably going to go with the 4 bulb...now the only problem with tek-5 is that there are no moon lights...and well...i really like the look of the fixture...i know the coralife/current (Nova) fixture has the moonlights...but if anyone can help me there :) thanks