Sympodium new pic 5-15-11 *update* page 6

Discussion in 'Coral' started by 2in10, Dec 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

It seems to grow in spurts. It's been at the same size for a few months now, and is starting to grow new sprouts again.
    Do these actually eat, because I've never really target fed them.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I haven't fed them either, I am guessing they can catch pods and such. Probably light and dissolved organics are their main source of food.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

As luck would have it, I just read about nutritional needs of octocorals. The reading suggested that some corals like xenia have no nemocycts there for are unable to actively acquire zooplankton and rely largely on phytoplanton and photosynthesis. The article also went on to say that systems based on ULNS or a close proximity may not provide enough nutrition for many soft corals. Well we already knew this.

So John to sum it up, you need a dirtier tank!!!!!

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

LOL, I had come to that conclusion since I have a tough time with octocorals.

6. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Not so sure I can agree with that finding. My trates are 0 or damn close to it, my phates are on the lowest end of my test kit. I have no nussence algae and even have trouble growing chaeto. Although, it could be why I'm seeing it grow in spurts. One thing I don't have, is very strong lighting. I have (2) 65 W PC's.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Maybe they like lower light, always fun trying to figure out what a coral likes best in your system.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well I could go into a whole schpeel regarding, what I also read about growth and octocorals, what limit's it and what encourages it, but it pretty complicated and mostly conjecture the information was taken from "The Reef Aquarium Volume II. There were way too many variable to list, such as some corals self limit growth to ensure that they only grow as large as they can effectively feed themselves. But without certain available foods such as phytoplankton, organic nutrients (DOC) and light for photosynthesis, you will get very little growth, that seems to be conclusive and it makes total sense. The more nutrition and effective up take of the nutrition by the coral the greater the growth, up to a certain point.

It listed growth rates for Sinularia and Sacrophyton found in the wild with those growth rates in the home aquarium, suprisingly the growth rates for the corals in the aquarium were much higher than in the wild.