Swollen Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by jmann124, Jun 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

We just came home and my son's betta is swollen. Looks like all of her scales are flipped out and she is puffy. She is swimming, only a little, and she is keeping her mouth on the water surface. She is in a small(1-2g) tank by herself. She is fed daily but I was informed that the pump for her air stone stopped working, so there hasn't been any surface agitation for awhile. I put a dose of melafix in the tank and stirred the water surface a bit. What is going on and what can I do to help her? Thanx.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Betta fish have an organ known as the labyrinth organ which allows them to breathe air at the water's surface.An air pump is not really necessary.It is often wrongly thought that this organ allows Betta fish to be kept in unmaintained aquaria.This is a misconception as poor water quality makes all tropical fish, including Betta Splendens more susceptible to diseases such as fin rot. Betta Species also prefer a warmer water climate than other tropical fish - around 25-30 Degrees Celsius.(77-86 Degrees Fahrenheit) so a heater is a good idea.
    Sounds like Dropsy and your fish has pine coned due to the fluids in its abdomen.Unfortunately, dropsy is almost always fatal once it progresses to this point. The fluid builds up under the skin as a result of several different issues including intestinal blockage, kidney failure, and bacterial infections.I suggest doing an epsom salt bath. You can try an antibiotic like furan 2. Also keep in mind that the lifespan of these fish is extremely short so if you do end up purchasing another be sure to get a smaller specimen.Good luck.;)

4. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I have had this problem with several bettas. I was told by a breeder that their digestive tract gets blocked easily. Be careful if you are feeding those betta pellets. Remember that a betta's stomach is only about the size of it eyes. So don't give more than 2-3 pellets at a time. I started feeding mine a much smaller pellet (0.5mm) and it is doing better. Don't feed yours for a day or 2 and perhaps she will pass it. Good luck.