Switching to LED's, Need Info

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by dumbderk, Apr 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

So when they said 72leds did they mean in total between RB and CW or did they mean 72cool whites+how many ever RB?

2. Click Here!

3. dumbderk

I am still debating but I think they meant 72 in total. I will add up the costs and see how much I would be looking at and see if it is really that much of a difference because as I have seen it LED's have a way better par rating and grow coral much better.

4. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

You should ask Rapid that question but it's going to be up to you to determine the blue/white ratio.

Pretty sure they meant 72 total though :) . You'll be very pleased with results and the build is fun!

5. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I've been looking for LEDs lately, these two models have caught my eye.

1) Vertex Illumina
    http://www.blueworldaquariums.com/v..._fixture.php?gclid=CJXTzIrWk6gCFUkZQgodT00rDA

2) SunBrite LED lighting system
    http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/lighting/sunbrite-led-lighting/sunbrite-led-lighting-fixtures
    - Fixture with no LED tubes costs $200-300
    - Fixture can hold up 8 LED tubes
    - Each LED tube costs $150-300

Both have gotten pretty good reviews. The SunBrite fixture seems really flexible but IMO the company doesn't have the reputation Vertex does. In the end, I decided LED wasn't worth the money yet.

Sorry if that made it even more difficult for you to choose!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  6. dumbderk

I decided on going with the 72 led fixture, and rapid answered my question with saying that a 24led fixture with half blue and half white would be the equivalent of a 250w MH for lighting so that means for every 12CW I have I can base it off of 250w MH lamps. So the lighting I am going with is the 72 LED fixture and I am going with a 2royal blue for every 1 cool white. meaning I will have a total of 24 white leds giving me a 500watt equivalence but with the royal blues I think that will add to the growth as well so I figure around 600watt-700watt equivalence.

My order list will look something like this.

24 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs, 48 Royal Blue Cree XP-E LEDs. With these bulbs I will have a 60 degree lense.

Drilled and Tapped 4.25" x 23" Heat Sink for 36 LEDs
    Price: $60.00X2=$120

48 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers
    Price: $445.00

24 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers
    Price: $230.00

4 Hook Wire Hanging Kit
    Price: $10.00X2=$20

DDC-01 PWM Controller
    Price: $79.00

12V AC Adapter
    Price: $10.00

60mm Vantec Stealth Fan
    Price: $11.00X4=$44.00

Total should be around $950+tax

All in all this build will provide way better lighting for my corals than my 2X250watt mh ballast and provide way more growth and better visability.

7. OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA 3reef Sponsor

Your CRI/color rendering with 2:1 RB:CW's cree emitters is going to be somewhat lacking. ><

8. Click Here!

9. dumbderk

What exactly does that mean, I am new to led's and the jargen escapes me, and how do I fix this? :p

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It means you won't see much of the other colors besides those that reflect the blue spectrum.

You can fix it by making your ratio of white:blue closer to 1:1, and also by adding different types of white LEDs.

11. dumbderk

ok, with 72 leds, what leds should I get and how many, I like the bluer spectrum as you can tell but I just want my colors to pop.

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Change from: 24 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs, 48 Royal Blue Cree XP-E LEDs

To: 24 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs, 36 Royal Blue Cree XP-E LEDs + 12 Warm White or Neutral White LEDs (or some mix of the two).

If you are independently dimming the whites from the blues, you can still set the balance of the two to your liking, but don't have to sacrifice on the CRI.