Switching to LED's, Need Info

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by dumbderk, Apr 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

Well, do to burst of income from an injury I will be coming into some money and have decided on switching to LED's. I know there are many light fixtures out there but it seems that the best way to go is LED for electricity costs as well as par rating for growth of corals.

My tank is 4'X2'X2' and I will be keeping mostly SPS with lps and a few softies. I am wondering what kits I should go with. I know this is a very vague question but I do not know that much about LED's, all I can say is that I want a good blue hue to my tank and good enough light to raise sps, clams, and lps. I checked out another persons thread on here and they have a longer tank than I and I know that would affect the amount of led's needed, I am just wondering which kit should I go with from rapidled, or how many LED's I would need for my tank from a different soure and what kind.

2. Click Here!

3. Erik72

Erik72 Astrea Snail

Check out the AquaIllumination's. I saw a demo at my LFS and I was extremely impressed. Going to buy a couple for my 90g very soon.

4. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

If u got uber cash acanlighting is awesome

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I do not wish to suggest the other options out there are not good, but I personally have two Aqua Illumination Sol units over a three foot tank and could not be happier.

6. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Orphek has sweet units as well. They are not dimmable though. A pair of PR-156's would be able to grow SPS on the sandbed in your tank.

I also like the Rapid LED kits. A 48 bulb kit would do wonders for your tank.

10. FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

go with reefledlights.com kits, they use LEDs better suited for our tanks.

check out my build thread, I have the same tank, 4x2x2

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

huh? They appear to sell the same cree-leds as any other diy supplier....

A diy kit offers a lot of flexibility and is not particularly difficult. I don't really think it matters what supplier you use though. Rapid is very reputable though, so is nanotuners. I have not heard of reefledlights before.

12. FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

not every LED is made the same, some operate on diff spectrums and these are all put into "bins" or batches. Some sellers just go for the cheapest "Cree blue" they can get, whereas getting the bin that operates in the spectrum that we want costs more.