Switching to LED - Full review comming

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by TJSlayer, Mar 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I have fiddled with those a little bit and find them really neat. However, the last time I checked they were still doing some minor cosmetic changes to it. two are needed to light a 75G.

2. Click Here!

3. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Yeah I think you can get different colored units as well now.

And according to the ReefTech site they have three new lights comming out as well, not sure of the details but they are suppose to be announced soon...

TJ

4. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Well after many weeks of reading, doing research on the net and in many of the reef forums, reading what others are doing, etc. and many conversations with several manufacturers and suppliers I have finally committed to my LED light.

After really taking a long time to consider what features I considered to be needed rather than just cool or nice to have I finally decided upon the new light offered by Inwatter – The Stingray.

I was leaning towards the Reeftech Prometheus or the Pacific Sun Metis for the longest time, as they really do pretty much anything you could hope for with an incredible amount of expandability, and the build quality of each seems to be top notch, but I just couldn’t quite get to the price that they were at, otherwise I would of probably went with one of them.

But more to the reasoning I decided to go with the Inwatter Stingray.

The most important features to me were as follows:
    Quality components (ie. CREE lights – replaceable boards, etc.)
    Dimming Capability – with a sunrise/sunset/moon option
    (a must for led’s as far as I’m concerned – far easier to acclimate and adjust colors)
    I really wanted a fixture that would cover the whole tank or at least link together and act like one, and all three of the above mentioned covered this point. Many of the others really didn’t.
    Controllability either by built in controller, or another method I already had (Reefkeeper Lite)

In my discussions with Inwatter I have come to the conclusion that all of the above points are easily met and the light has a great amount of output in a 48” fixture (240 Watts). Standard pricing is also the lowest of the three that I was looking at so that was also key in my final decision.

The other two lights do have more features than the Stingray fixture, which ultimately adds to the cost, but it also put them just out of my price range right now, and in my opinion are features that are not critical to the main purpose of the light.

Currently I have been running my tank with a pretty basic on off timing functionality of the controller I use and things are fine. The other features would be really cool to have but ultimately will not affect the core functionality the lights are providing.

I was originally concerned about ordering a light that is just getting released, but in discussions with inwatter, and the research I have done, they are building a top quality light, and not just another cheap import. They are not trying to compete in the lower rang of offerings, but are trying to provide a great fixture for a fair price. They too have also tried to look at what key features were needed, and what other features that simply added to the price, and after a long time came up with the Stingray design.

I have had many PM’s with people who have purchased pretty much every light discussed in this thread and for the most part people are happy with whatever they decided on. But one key point that I have heard time and again, is that after the initial playing around period most have their lights set to the same sunrise/sunset and color output that they want and really don’t mess around with them after that.

This pretty much agrees with what my thoughts were on what I needed.

I hope to receive the fixture in the next two to three weeks and then I will start my full review.

Very excited to finally have this underway..
    Stay Tuned
    TJ

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Wow, cool! I thought you were leaning towards Maxspect....Good Luck!
    What is one of these in USD? I went on there site and thought 11,500$ coudn't be right, until I noticed the HKD symbol.
    EDIT: 1475$ is what I converted to, still not bad.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  6. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

FYI, had AI Sols now for 1 month. Love them. I know, I know, you'll never read someone post about spending ton of $ and not liking their purchase, but these fixtures truly are amazing. Dimmable is so worth it. They are freaking bright and I noticed my Xenia and other corals bleach a lil during first two weeks. So being able to turn em down was soo nice. No messing with placement in tank. Month later I still run them only at 65%. Ability to dial in color and 12 timers with ramp up periods are beyond nice. Build and quality are superb.

About your points, it pretty much nails all of them. With two fixtures, linked and acting as one I can cover entire 55g tank 48" long from just 8" above water surface. It's reputable and well established company and they are US based.

In any case, def will be nice to see what other LEDs have to offer. Hope you post tons of pics and info.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

8. Click Here!

9. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Most definetly will be posting a tonne of pictures and many updates....looking forward to it...

10. 96gts

96gts Plankton

Thanks for posting all the info about all these LED fixtures. I'm in the process of ordering a 60x30x24 tank and really can't decide between the 48" Pacific Sun Metis 3x100W or the 48" Vertex Illunmina 200 SR1200. Let us know how the Inwatter works out for you when you get it.

11. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Light has arrived will be starting a new thread on the review shortly!

12. trizzot

trizzot Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If i can ask, Where did you buy it from and what was the price? I am looking to replace my metal halides on my 144 half circle and am interested in this light.