Switching to LED - Full review comming

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by TJSlayer, Mar 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Yep I have seen them but they don't seem to offer anything more so to speak that the rest I have been looking at, and I would be back to needing 4 so not sure if their is much benefit over the others...

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Actually from the looks of photos taken with them you would only need 2 or at most 3. This is what Dave at OCreef tells me, at least.
    Well.. The 36 gallon tank sprung a leak and one of the lower seals started to drip so I decided to upgrade.. Now I have a 72 gallon bowfront which I just finished today -

Tank is complete. Everything has been moved. Everything is currently functioning and I have pics -

Tank with white light
    [​IMG]
    This is a 72BF with one light on 50%. Looks like 2 on 70% would light a 75 plenty!
    Link
    FOWLR 36gal Bowfront... My FIRST saltwater tank (w/pictures)

4. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

They do look good but I'm trying to get around 200-250 watts total available light so Yeah I'd need 4.....

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Just wondering why you want a specific amount of watts. Ithought WPG was inacurate for LED and PUR was a better measure?

6. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

I basically don't want to be limited by lights anymore.....

I'f I'm spending the money I'd rather have to turn them down than have them cranked....

My tank also has the plastic bracing around it so I would need to have either two or four fixtures over it as I couldn't really do three....

Or one bigone like my T5's are now....

I will take another look a them, but not sure they would work for me....

7. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Well I tell you the more I read the more confuesed I get right now likeing the idea of the Prometheus lights due to the modular design, and the power.

If I ever move up in aquarium sizes I could use the same fixtures and add another if needed...

You can actually chain up to seven of them together and they will all comminicate with each other.

Two units would give more than enough light to grow anything and each unit has four boards in it that are user replacible so as bulbs change down the road you can change the lights if you desire.

As far as programability goes looks like they will do almost anything.....

As far as everything I have looked at they really do look like they really have the most to offer per dollar spent.....

But with them being so new finding info on them is tricky, but I can honestly say that everything that i have read has been good.

Decisions, Decisions

8. Click Here!

9. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

I just found out something recently regarding the Reeftech fixtures as well. Not sure if the others can do this or not.

But considering that the new XML chips are now comming out, and if they prove to be that good with the reeftech Light I could simply order a few boards to replace the current ones.

One thing I'm not sure about is wether or not I could replace say one or two of the boards with the XML or if I would have to do all four (In each light)

But could make for some interesting possibilities down the road...

TJ

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Al sol also allows you to take the cover off and replace the diodes, etc, as new technologies are released. But that Prometheus fixture sounds amazing. Do they have a website? The Pac Sun website does not appear to be working properly(not displaying product info/images).

Edit: I got it to work now.

Product catalogue

Here's the retail costs(s) for those wondering.

http://www.progressivereef.com/pacificsun.php

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  11. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

The prometheus is by reeftech website was listed a few posts back...

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I see that now that I looked through all the different fixtures. Thank you.