Switching tanks? Can I use the existing sand and LR?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Anldyxp, Jul 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Hi guys, so I'm moving to a small apt in september and will be downsizing my 20gal w/ 10gal sump to a Cad Lights 12gal all-in-one. My question is can I reuse my LR,LS and water to prevent a cycle? About the LS, isn't it dangerous to dig it up due to toxins in the lower levels of the substrate? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

LR Yes Water, yes but use some fresh. I would use new sand, disturbing an established sand bed can really mess up your water chemestry. I would try and avoid doing it, you can release trapped amonia and other nasty things. I moved my tank in May from my old house to a new house, and just changed my sand, but kept most of my water and LR and I have not had a new cycle.

4. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

LR = yes
    Water = 100% yes
    sand = i wouldnt you will give your self a min cycle, i would just take a cup full of the old sand and put it on top of some new sand

5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

Sec place again lol

6. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Okay, thank you guys! Appreciate it

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Agreed, on a side note reusing old tank water will do almost nothing for you. Almost all of the bacteria you need will live on surfaces such as the LR and LS and are not found in the water column in great numbers. There was a really good moving tank thread awhile back I will have to find for you.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

If its a shallow sand bed then its not really an issue, its when you have a functioning deep sand bed, say 3-5" deep or deeper than has not been previously disturbed that may cause problems.

In deep sand beds you have anoxic and anerobic bacterias that live in oxygen deficient atmospheres deep in the bed, with a shallow bed or one you stir or disturb they are not really present in any quantity.

I would give the sand a quick rinse in new saltwater and reuse it if its not from a DSB.

11. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

Thank you! I will look into it!

Thank you! Ok great, my sand bed is only about 2"-3" so I will consider reusing it. That would be the most convenient choice if possible.

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Give it a good rinse with some saltwater, you can use the wate rpresently in your tank for this as long as you don't siphon it from the bottom and pick up crud.
    For the new tank I would recommend new RO/DI saltwater as reusing the old water has no benefits since the bacteria are not free swimming, they live deep in the rock and sand.