Switching from SW to FW...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by ZC42, Apr 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey, guys,

Since I'm off to boarding school in the fall, I'm supposed to take my SW tank down since nobody in my house will be able to take care of it. I think I may be able to convert it into a FW tank though!

Does anyone have any tips on taking down and cleaning the aquarium for FW use?

I would make it a sand bottomed tank, with bichirs (1 ornate one senegal I think 46 g is enough for life right? That's what I've read.) And angelfish. Would this work? I've also always wanted to do a fire eel, but not sure if that's going to work.

Thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. ZC42

oh and maybe ropefish

4. Jay1982

Jay1982 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I turned one of my small tanks into a FW planted aquarium. I drained the water out, scrubbed the walls and corners with one of the floss scrubbers. Then I used 2 parts white vinegar and 1 part water (don't fill the tank, fill the tank to maybe an inch or so), continued scrubbing from the bottom up and then filled the aquarium with tap water.

Keep the water in overnight, drain. Repeat the vinegar step once more and then you should be good to go. Just make sure your initial scrubbing phase is thorough

1 person likes this.
  5. ZC42

Thanks for the info! After the second vinegar part, should I fill it up again?

6. Jay1982

No problem! And yeah you don't want any vinegar left over when filling it up for livestock. So if it still smells like vinegar then give it an extra wash or two.

7. ZC42

Thanks. Got to find a way to get rid of my CUC now...lots of crabs maybe lfs will take it

8. Click Here!

9. Jay1982

Where are you located? I need some, lol!

10. ZC42

Haha northern CA. If I end up doing FW (still have to wait some time for stuff to play out) and the lfs wont take them for credit pm me and we can work out a deal I want these guys off my hands!